mod_jk only works from local host

Discussion in 'Java' started by Patrick, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    I just installed mod_jk on my RH box using the instructions from the
    following link:

    http://johnturner.com/howto/apache2-tomcat4127-jk-rh9-howto.html

    The following links work:

    http://localhost
    http://localhost:8080
    http://localhost:8080/examples
    http://localhost/example
    http://ipaddress
    http://ipaddress:8080
    http://ipaddress:8080/examples

    The only one that doesn't work (and clearly an important one) is

    http://ipaddress/examples

    The apache error log shows it just appending the /examples to the
    document root (and therefore getting a 400) when coming from a remote
    computer. But when it's done from localhost things work just fine.
    Thoughts?
    Patrick, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Patrick

    Sudsy Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > I just installed mod_jk on my RH box using the instructions from the
    > following link:
    >
    > http://johnturner.com/howto/apache2-tomcat4127-jk-rh9-howto.html
    >
    > The following links work:
    >
    > http://localhost
    > http://localhost:8080
    > http://localhost:8080/examples
    > http://localhost/example
    > http://ipaddress
    > http://ipaddress:8080
    > http://ipaddress:8080/examples
    >
    > The only one that doesn't work (and clearly an important one) is
    >
    > http://ipaddress/examples
    >
    > The apache error log shows it just appending the /examples to the
    > document root (and therefore getting a 400) when coming from a remote
    > computer. But when it's done from localhost things work just fine.
    > Thoughts?

    How about http://ipaddress/example?
    Peer carefully back at the list you provided.
    Sudsy, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Sudsy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Patrick wrote:
    > > I just installed mod_jk on my RH box using the instructions from the
    > > following link:
    > >
    > > http://johnturner.com/howto/apache2-tomcat4127-jk-rh9-howto.html
    > >
    > > The following links work:
    > >
    > > http://localhost
    > > http://localhost:8080
    > > http://localhost:8080/examples
    > > http://localhost/example
    > > http://ipaddress
    > > http://ipaddress:8080
    > > http://ipaddress:8080/examples
    > >
    > > The only one that doesn't work (and clearly an important one) is
    > >
    > > http://ipaddress/examples
    > >
    > > The apache error log shows it just appending the /examples to the
    > > document root (and therefore getting a 400) when coming from a remote
    > > computer. But when it's done from localhost things work just fine.
    > > Thoughts?

    > How about http://ipaddress/example?
    > Peer carefully back at the list you provided.

    I left an S off, sorry. It only works from localhost.
    Patrick, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Patrick

    Sudsy Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > I left an S off, sorry. It only works from localhost.

    It looks like you're talking to two different servers. When you
    don't include a port number then 80 will be used by default. So
    it would appear that you've got one HTTP server sitting on port
    80 and one on 8080. The second one is probably the stand-alone
    Tomcat.
    Hard to track it down without further details.
    Sudsy, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Sudsy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Patrick wrote:
    > > I left an S off, sorry. It only works from localhost.

    > It looks like you're talking to two different servers. When you
    > don't include a port number then 80 will be used by default. So
    > it would appear that you've got one HTTP server sitting on port
    > 80 and one on 8080. The second one is probably the stand-alone
    > Tomcat.
    > Hard to track it down without further details.

    That's exactly what I have, and the purpose of mod_jk is to take
    listen to requests on 80 and pass servlet request to Tomcat,
    transparent to the user. When I do it from the local machine, it will
    pass request on 80 that include the servlet in the url to Tomcat.
    When I do it from a different box, they are not passed.
    Patrick, Jan 25, 2004