mod_jk2 / tomcat / apache cannot go below /examples directory

Nelayan

I am trying to get a tomcat-4.1.27 to talk to an Apache 2.0.47 server.
I built the mod_jk2.so and configured Apache, as well as the
jk2.properties and workers2.properties as for the simplest example
described in:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk2/confighowto.html

When I start Tomcat and Apache, everything seems to be happy. When I
go to:

http://localhost/examples/

I get a Tomcat page showing the /examples/ directory tree that
indicates that Apache is communicating with Tomcat. The problem is
when I try to select one of the directories to run one of the
examples. I get a "The page cannot be found " error. The error is
logged in Apache's error_log as
"File does not exist: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/examples". There is
nothing that gets logged on the Tomcat side.

I have tweeked the workers2.properties file by defining some of the
directories to naviagate, but that was to no avail, and searching
google, I can't seem to find anybody else who has had this problem.

My latest workers2.properties file looks like this:

[shm]
file=${serverRoot}/logs/shm.file
size=1048576

# Define the communication channel
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
tomcatId=localhost:8009
# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space
[uri:/examples/*]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

[uri:/examples/servlets/*]
info=Map the whole webapp - servlets

[uri:/examples/*.jsp]
info=Map the whole webapp - jsp

Has anybody had this problem? It has to be a simple fix. But if not,
what is the best thing to do to get a lot of verbose logging on both
the Apache and Tomcat side?

Also, another stupid question, but I haven't seen the answer in the
docs, if I change the workers2.properties file on the Apache side, do
I just need to bounc Apache for them to be active? Or do I have to
bounce Tomcat and then Apache. I am assuming it is just Apache.