    How is it ?

    Regards,
    Lionel.

    Lionel Valero, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Lionel Valero <> writes:

    > I built a sever with apache and perl (cgi), and i used the mod_perl to
    > boost my server, it actually works 4x time faster with mod_perl.
    >
    > I did not modify my perl scripts in order to use mod_perl, i left them as is.
    >
    > But i noticed that the available free ram decreases each time a script is called .

    Off-topic note: "free ram" is generally a bad thing. For this reason
    some people think it would be better entitled "wasted ram".

    However if what you are really saying is that the memory usage of
    Apache is growing read on...

    Perl uses reference counting, this means that anything using circular
    (unweakened) references leaks memory.

    All sorts of things you do in Perl that should not leak memory do anyway.

    People who write CGI scripts usually don't worry if they leak memory
    since under CGI the process terminates immediately anyhow.

    If your CGI scripts are leaking lots of memory then repair the memory
    leaks.

    mod_perl2 periodically kills off Perl interpreter threads to avoid
    memory usage growing for ever. You can tune these settings.

    HTH
    --
    \\ ( )

    Brian McCauley, Nov 10, 2003