mod_perl installed, but mod_perl.so file not created

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by bennett@peacefire.org, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a server with Apache 2.0.53 and Perl 5.8.5. I installed
    mod_perl 2.0.2 using the standard command:

    perl MakeFile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs

    and got no error messages (sorry, I no longer have the complete output
    that the installer displayed), however the installer gave the message
    at the end:

    > [warning] You'll need to add the following to httpd.conf:
    > [warning]
    > [warning] LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
    > [warning]
    > [warning] depending on your build, mod_perl might not live in
    > [warning] the modules/ directory.

    However, in my /usr/lib/httpd/modules directory, there are lots of .so
    files, but no mod_perl.so file -- and I have searched my entire drive
    on that machine but found no mod_perl.so file. If mod_perl was
    installed successfully, why wasn't the file created and what should I
    do?

    Thanks,

    -Bennett
    , Jan 25, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I have a server with Apache 2.0.53 and Perl 5.8.5. I installed
    > mod_perl 2.0.2 using the standard command:
    >
    > perl MakeFile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs
    >
    > and got no error messages (sorry, I no longer have the complete output
    > that the installer displayed), however the installer gave the message
    > at the end:
    >
    > > [warning] You'll need to add the following to httpd.conf:
    > > [warning]
    > > [warning] LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
    > > [warning]
    > > [warning] depending on your build, mod_perl might not live in
    > > [warning] the modules/ directory.

    > However, in my /usr/lib/httpd/modules directory, there are lots of .so
    > files, but no mod_perl.so file -- and I have searched my entire drive
    > on that machine but found no mod_perl.so file. If mod_perl was
    > installed successfully, why wasn't the file created and what should I
    > do?

    are you sure that you installed it? did you run: make install?
    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Big and Blue Guest

    wrote:

    > perl MakeFile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs
    >
    > and got no error messages (sorry, I no longer have the complete output
    > that the installer displayed)

    That's your problem. Keep a log of the install file (it's what tee is
    for).

    Why not built it again using the same command and see where it puts it
    this time? You could have done that in the time it's taken to get a
    response here.

    either you or I have to believe it.
    Big and Blue, Jan 25, 2006