Mod_Perl - new to linux and perl but semi old to programming

Discussion in 'Perl' started by sf-newsgroup, Feb 7, 2012.

  1. sf-newsgroup

    sf-newsgroup Guest

    To whom it may concern,

    Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly respond.

    Where possible I will try to keep this brief - as i am sure you all have
    better things in life to do.

    I am considering moving to apache and mod_perl for my web development.

    Over the last 12 years of web development I have moved from Classic ASP
    to ASP.Net and now may have to move to ASP.Net MVC to keep up with the
    times - and im sick and tired of it.

    Do not get me wrong, I do not mind updating my knowledge, but now after
    so many years of learning a whole new technology just to replace
    something that worked fine previously - im over the whole fiasco.

    I was considering moving to a LAMP stack but based on a suggestion by a
    friend, I am going to go with LAPP(perl, post) stack instead to see how
    it turns out.

    I am having the following problems
    * I cannot subscribe to "" - i sent an email
    as per the web page suggestion and nothing happened -
    http://www.perl.com/pub/2002/02/26/whatismodperl.html
    (on a side note I cannot subscribe to the apache list either)
    What am I doing wrong?

    * Which is the better version of linux(and this may vary depending on
    the person - please dont start an arguement about debian vs ubuntu that
    is not the point of this email) - or it doesnt matter which flavor i use?

    * Is mod_perl secure? (putting aside the fact that I know an application
    is only as secure as the developer develops it)

    * Is there any really good books, websites, example code(complete
    website code) that you would recommend to learn?

    * anything else that I may have missed?

    sf-newsgroup, Feb 7, 2012

  2. On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:26:04 +1100, sf-newsgroup <>
    wrote:

    >To whom it may concern,
    >
    >Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly respond.
    > SNIP
    >
    >* anything else that I may have missed?

    You may wish to consider posting in comp.lang.perl.misc, as most
    Perl-related traffic has migrated there.

    Regards,
    David

    David Solimano, Feb 12, 2012