mod_perl - Using mod_proxy in the response phase of apache?

fhscobey

Hi,
I'm trying to help out another group at my company by creating a simple
reverse-proxy interface for their application; they basically need a
way to have a password protected interface for a WAP application for
demonstration purposes. I was just going to leverage the custom
AuthHandler we wrote for their Basic_Auth needs, but I realized that
the Authentication phase of apache takes place after the Header and URI
translation phases. Is there a way I can utilize mod_proxy (via the
Perl module interface) in the response phase? Would I just be better
off writing a small LWP function to handle the proxy pass-thru to their
WAP app?

Thanks in advance,
- Jeff

Brian McCauley

fhscobey said:
I'm trying to help out another group at my company by creating a simple
reverse-proxy interface for their application; they basically need a
way to have a password protected interface for a WAP application for
demonstration purposes. I was just going to leverage the custom
AuthHandler we wrote for their Basic_Auth needs, but I realized that
the Authentication phase of apache takes place after the Header and URI
translation phases. Is there a way I can utilize mod_proxy (via the
Perl module interface) in the response phase? Would I just be better
off writing a small LWP function to handle the proxy pass-thru to their
WAP app?

You might be able to do it by generating an internal redirect to a
secret URL prefix which in turn is handled via mod_proxy. Just check
the responses to ensure the secret prefix doesn't leak out.

Note: I wouldn't suggest this trick for a production system but it's
probably OK for a demo if it works.