Mod_Perl vs PHP in memory, speed, varibles

nntp

I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped running.
Even those running eat memory like crazy.

I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as memory
hog, varible initialization etc.

Is there a way to use Perl scripts at the same speed of PHP without worrying
about those clearing varibles etc in mod_perl.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp said:
I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped running.
Even those running eat memory like crazy.

Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html
I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as memory
hog, varible initialization etc.

The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
are of rare occurrence.

nntp

nntp said:
Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html
That does not work. Even with PerlRun, there are huge memory leak.
The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
are of rare occurrence.
PHP programmers don't need to worry about initializtion, and the PHP itself
will clear all memory after usage. I don't understand why mod_perl can not
do it. This really kills perl in majority. Anyone can write php, but only
few can write mod_perl.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

nntp said:
That does not work.

I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

nntp

nntp said:
I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.
**** off. Stupid shit.

Jerry Stuckle

nntp said:
I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

**** off. Stupid shit.

LOL.

Gunnar,

You got him nailed. Typical troll response.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address

Tad McClellan

[ Followups set ]

nntp said:
**** off. Stupid shit.

Very intellectual of you, we are surely impressed.

I guess that means that you cannot support your claim.

We were all wondering if Gunnar had it right or not, thanks for
posting your confirmation of which way it is.