    hog, varible initialization etc.

    Is there a way to use Perl scripts at the same speed of PHP without worrying
    about those clearing varibles etc in mod_perl.

    nntp, Jul 23, 2005

  2. nntp wrote:
    > I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped running.
    > Even those running eat memory like crazy.

    Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html

    > I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as memory
    > hog, varible initialization etc.

    The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
    while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
    mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
    are of rare occurrence.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 23, 2005

  3. nntp

    nntp Guest

    > nntp wrote:
    > > I tried mod_perl. It is too troublesome. Many old scripts stopped

    running.
    > > Even those running eat memory like crazy.

    > Did you study this document about porting CGI scripts to mod_perl:
    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html

    That does not work. Even with PerlRun, there are huge memory leak.

    > > I wonder why mod_php does not have the problems in mod_perl, such as

    memory
    > > hog, varible initialization etc.

    > The perceived difference may have something to do with the fact that
    > while there are many old CGI scripts that were never designed with
    > mod_perl in mind, PHP scripts that weren't designed with mod_php in mind
    > are of rare occurrence.

    PHP programmers don't need to worry about initializtion, and the PHP itself
    will clear all memory after usage. I don't understand why mod_perl can not
    do it. This really kills perl in majority. Anyone can write php, but only
    few can write mod_perl.

    nntp, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 23, 2005
  5. nntp

    nntp Guest

    **** off. Stupid shit.

    nntp, Jul 24, 2005
  6. nntp wrote:
    >>nntp wrote:

    >>>That does not work.

    >>I should have realized that you are just a pitiful troll. Show us some
    >>hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

    > **** off. Stupid shit.
    >

    >>--
    >>Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    >>Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

    LOL.

    Gunnar,

    You got him nailed. Typical troll response.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, Jul 24, 2005
  7. [ Followups set ]

    nntp <> wrote:
    >> nntp wrote:
    >> > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    >> Show us some
    >> hard evidence supporting your claim, or else there is no reason to talk.

    > **** off. Stupid shit.

    Very intellectual of you, we are surely impressed.

    I guess that means that you cannot support your claim.

    We were all wondering if Gunnar had it right or not, thanks for
    posting your confirmation of which way it is.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jul 24, 2005