mod_python web-dav management system

Damjan

Apache2 comes with builtin Web-dav support, but authorization is limited to
Apache's methods, which are not very flexible.

Now I've been thinking that it might be pretty easy to implement a
authorization layer with mod_python (but living handling of the web-dav
protocol to apache)... So, has anyone already done something similar?

A management web-ui would be nice too.

Larry Bates

Zope has WebDAV support and is written in Python. You could
use Zope or perhaps use "parts" of it (since it is open source).

-Larry Bates

Damjan

Zope has WebDAV support and is written in Python. You could
use Zope or perhaps use "parts" of it (since it is open source).

I wouldn't use Zope as file storage. The ZODB is inefficient for storing big
files.

Kyler Laird

Damjan said:
Now I've been thinking that it might be pretty easy to implement a
authorization layer with mod_python (but living handling of the web-dav
protocol to apache)... So, has anyone already done something similar?

Yup. I'm in the process. I'm using mod_python to do LDAP
authentication of WebDAV requests.

Now I just need to get a FUSE filesystem working and I should
be able to cobble together a "simple" DAV server...

It would be *so* much cleaner to have a total Python-based
solution (that could run as root) so I periodically check on
progress in this area. I have high hopes for Twisted's DAV
server but I'm told it's not ready for use yet. In another
thread I just learned about PanDAV
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/projects/pandav.html
but I haven't installed it yet.

--kyler

grahamd

Kyler said:
Yup. I'm in the process. I'm using mod_python to do LDAP
authentication of WebDAV requests.

If original poster needs more in depth help on how to set up an
appropriate authhandler for mod_python for the purpose, might
suggest they get onto the mod_python mailing list and see help
there. Details of mailing list on mod_python web site.
Now I just need to get a FUSE filesystem working and I should
be able to cobble together a "simple" DAV server...

It would be *so* much cleaner to have a total Python-based
solution (that could run as root) so I periodically check on
progress in this area. I have high hopes for Twisted's DAV
server but I'm told it's not ready for use yet. In another
thread I just learned about PanDAV
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/projects/pandav.html
but I haven't installed it yet.

What about if there existed a mod_dav_python for Apache. Would
that be of interest. The idea is that the module could bridge the
C API hooks and structures of mod_dav module to Python code.
This means the benefit from all the hard work that has been put
into the Apache mod_dav module and only need to implement
stuff that handles the individual operations if you want to implement
some sort of custom DAV server. If of interest you might look at
comments about it at:

http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-April/020890.html
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-165

Graham

Kyler Laird

What about if there existed a mod_dav_python for Apache. Would
that be of interest.

To me it would only be of interest if it's combined with Apache's
suid capabilities.
The idea is that the module could bridge the
C API hooks and structures of mod_dav module to Python code.
This means the benefit from all the hard work that has been put
into the Apache mod_dav module and only need to implement
stuff that handles the individual operations if you want to implement
some sort of custom DAV server.

I can already get what I need using Apache DAV support with a custom
(FUSE) filesystem. I'd just rather have a nice simple Python solution.

--kyler