mod_ruby under windows

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Carl Youngblood, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. When looking for windows installation instructions for mod_ruby, all I
    get is this (under the mod_ruby FAQ):

    Does It work on Windows?

    Not yet. Because I have no Windows machine (fortunately).

    This is pretty sad. As much as I like linux, I choose to develop on
    Windows (and deploy my apps on linux) because I always seem to spend
    hours trying to get linux to recognize something as basic as a video
    card and I just want my OS to work, as Windows has for me. I'm not
    trying to start a flamewar here. I just think that forward-looking
    developers should realize that some of us have legitimate reasons for
    doing our development on Windows even if we intend to deploy our apps
    on linux. Making an install for Windows will do a lot to further Ruby
    adoption. An example of this is the awesome installs done by the
    pragmatic programmers.

    Anyway, sorry for the exegesis. What I really want to know is, has
    anyone set up mod_ruby on windows, and if so, how is it done?

    Thanks,
    Carl Youngblood

    Carl Youngblood, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Carl Youngblood

    John W. Long Guest

    I think it's possible to run it on windows under cygwin so you might try
    that. I am looking into the possiblility of porting it to windows because we
    need it at work and it would help to increase mod_ruby's popularity. I
    haven't done a lot of C though, so if I make progress it will be slow. Would
    be interested in helping?

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com

    John W. Long, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Hello,

    if you use Windows 2000, then i can offer you a pre alpha release of
    the "Arachno Ruby IDE" (http://www.ruby-ide.com). It automagically sets
    up modruby, apache and the ruby 1.6.3 distribution (completely isolated from any existing
    environment) when checking a button in the "New project" menu.

    If you are interested i can send you the download URL at the end of
    the week.

    The goal is as you said "develop on windows, distribute for Linux".

    Lothar Scholz, Jul 22, 2003
  4. "Lothar Scholz" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > if you use Windows 2000, then i can offer you a pre alpha release of
    > the "Arachno Ruby IDE" (http://www.ruby-ide.com). It automagically sets
    > up modruby, apache and the ruby 1.6.3 distribution (completely isolated

    from any existing
    > environment) when checking a button in the "New project" menu.
    >
    > If you are interested i can send you the download URL at the end of
    > the week.
    >
    > The goal is as you said "develop on windows, distribute for Linux".

    That sounds great. I would love to try it out. One comment: why 1.6.3?
    Isn't that quite an older version of the distro? Any plans to upgrade?

    Also, would you be willing to share how you got mod_ruby set up, in the
    event that someone wants to install it without the IDE?

    Many thanks,
    Carl Youngblood

    Carl Youngblood, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Carl Youngblood

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On 22 Jul 2003 08:58:32 -0700, (Carl Youngblood)
    wrote (more or less):

    >When looking for windows installation instructions for mod_ruby, all I
    >get is this (under the mod_ruby FAQ):
    >
    >Does It work on Windows?
    >
    >Not yet. Because I have no Windows machine (fortunately).
    >
    >This is pretty sad.

    I agree. Has anyone got a binary of mod_ruby compiled for use under
    Win9x ?

    (I'm a Smalltalker moving to Ruby rather than a C-coder...)

    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

    Gawnsoft, Jul 23, 2003