    I would appreciate any links.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Sam
    Sam Takoy, Aug 11, 2010

  2. On Aug 10, 4:04 pm, Sam Takoy <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
    > comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
    > click it away or it times out?
    >
    > I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
    > and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
    > doing this?
    >
    > I would appreciate any links.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sam

    Interesting question, I'm looking forward to reading the answers.
    However, I hope you're not going to use this method. I find it almost
    as annoying as blinking text and pictures.

    www.richardfisher.com
    Helpful person, Aug 11, 2010

  3. Sam Takoy

    idle Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
    > comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
    > click it away or it times out?
    >
    > I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
    > and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
    > doing this?
    >
    > I would appreciate any links.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sam

    The modern approach on the modal dialog http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759(VS.85).aspx
    is the lightbox you see everywhere.

    Basic
    http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
    Fancy
    http://fancybox.net/
    * Bump
    http://www.artviper.net/website-tools/bumpbox-lightbox.php

    * fave

    --
    idle
    8/10/2010 5:33:49 PM
    idle, Aug 11, 2010
  4. Sam Takoy

    Sam Takoy Guest

    On 8/10/2010 8:34 PM, idle wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
    >> comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
    >> click it away or it times out?
    >>
    >> I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
    >> and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
    >> doing this?
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any links.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Sam

    > The modern approach on the modal dialog http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759(VS.85).aspx
    > is the lightbox you see everywhere.
    >
    > Basic
    > http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
    > Fancy
    > http://fancybox.net/
    > * Bump
    > http://www.artviper.net/website-tools/bumpbox-lightbox.php
    >

    > * fave

    Thanks!

    I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
    whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
    background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

    Thanks again!
    Sam Takoy, Aug 15, 2010
  5. Sam Takoy

    rf Guest

    http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
    rf, Aug 15, 2010
  6. Sam Takoy

    Sam Takoy Guest

    On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
    > "Sam Takoy"<> wrote in message
    >> On 8/10/2010 8:34 PM, idle wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

    >>> * Bump
    >>> http://www.artviper.net/website-tools/bumpbox-lightbox.php

    >> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
    >> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
    >> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

    > http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?

    So how do I change the background color?
    Sam Takoy, Aug 15, 2010
  7. Sam Takoy

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:07:34 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

    > On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
    >> "Sam Takoy"<> wrote in message

    >>> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
    >>> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
    >>> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

    >> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
    >>

    > So how do I change the background color?

    All the settings are in the js file.
    http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js

    --
    idle
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    idle, Aug 15, 2010
  8. Sam Takoy

    Sam Takoy Guest

    On 8/14/2010 9:48 PM, idle wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:07:34 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
    >>> "Sam Takoy"<> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
    >>>

    >> So how do I change the background color?

    > All the settings are in the js file.
    > http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js

    Does that mean they can only be changed by altering the .js file? Or can
    they be changed from the html file?
    Sam Takoy, Aug 15, 2010
  9. Sam Takoy

    rf Guest

    "Sam Takoy" <> wrote in message
    > On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
    >> "Sam Takoy"<> wrote in message

    >>> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
    >>> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
    >>> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

    >> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
    >>

    > So how do I change the background color?

    I dunno. You'll have to look. Firebug will help you determine where the
    background colour is specified.
    rf, Aug 15, 2010
  10. Sam Takoy

    Dave Guest

    Sam Takoy wrote:
    > I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
    > whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
    > background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

    Another alternative not already mentioned is http://highslide.com/ which
    contains plenty of documentation, plenty of options/overrides, and
    thoroughly top-notch support from the author on his forums.
    Dave, Aug 15, 2010
  11. Sam Takoy

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:50:42 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

    > On 8/14/2010 9:48 PM, idle wrote:

    >>> So how do I change the background color?

    >> All the settings are in the js file.
    >> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js
    >>

    > Does that mean they can only be changed by altering the .js file? Or can
    > they be changed from the html file?

    only the js.
    Open it with a text editor and change as needed.

    --
    Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.
    idle, Aug 15, 2010
  12. Sam Takoy

    Dave Guest

    asdf wrote:
    > This is unpaid, but I've been using Highslide JS lately, and it can be
    > adapted to do things other than image zooms, it's really easy, and it seems
    > to work nicely on just about everything I've tried it out on lately. I
    > *think* you can choose to do the 'modal' thing or not... take a look.

    Indeed you can.
    Dave, Aug 16, 2010