    business objects?

    Thanks
    Bruce

    bruce phipps, Jul 8, 2004

  2. bruce phipps

    iksrazal Guest

    (bruce phipps) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am reading up on MDI (Model Driven Integration), a type of
    > information systems integration where corporate systems need to be
    > integrated, usually employing something like JMS (Java Message
    > Service) for publish/subscribe messaging. Anyone here know about MDI?
    > What is the essential difference between MDI and "traditional"
    > techniques -- is the model in MDI derived from UML diagrams of the
    > business objects?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bruce

    Best I can tell "Model Driven Integration" is the latest marketing
    term for distributed programming, this time with uml. It indeed is
    popular "where corporate systems need to be integrated" . I found this
    link out of curiousity and basically chuckled.

    http://www.ebizq.net/topics/dev_tools/features/1741.html

    "Unlike traditional programmed integration, which relies on
    hard-coding a finite and inextensible integration pathway between
    systems, model-driven integration focuses on abstracting the
    informational content in an application or database into a common
    enterprise data model. This model captures the nature of the
    information that the enterprise has in its systems and the way the
    enterprise uses data in its daily operations."

    Whatever.

    > What is the essential difference between MDI and "traditional"
    > techniques

    In Messaging ala JMS and MQ series its the difference between blocking
    and non-blocking code, or in other words programming synchronously and
    asyncronously. That and proven reliabilty and scalability.

    The classic example is a servlet which needs to start a long task of
    say an hour on some big backend machine. Of course with http typically
    you need a response in a few minutes. So what JMS could do for you is
    hand of the task to a Topic with several subscribers, or in case of
    only one listener a Queue. The Topic/Queue only acknowledges reciept
    of the task, but does not give the result. At some later time you
    could recieve an email or look somewhere to see the result of the
    task. The big advantage is you get to do something else - like surf
    the web - while the task gets completed.

    So put a few UML diagrams on top of that, via a design of a few first
    small steps, add some "automatic code generation through tools" and I
    guess that's MDI.

    HTH

    Outsource to an American programmer living in brazil!
    http://www.braziloutsource.com/
    iksrazal

    iksrazal, Jul 8, 2004