model to xml

Discussion in 'XML' started by Petterson Mikael, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    We have "Objects" that relate to each other in a parent-child
    relationship. Also these objects can have references to ther objects
    that is not a parent. Let me give you all an example.

    I have the following parent-child relationship between objects,

    Object A=1

    -------------
    | |
    Object B=1 Object C=1

    -------------
    | |
    Object D=1 Object D=2

    Note: The number is the identity when we have more than one object of
    the same type.

    "Object A=1" is parent to child "Object B=1".

    We have the same relationship for "Object D=1". "Object A=1" is parent
    to "Object B=1" which is parent to "Object D=1". The path to "Object
    D=1" is "Object A=1,Object C=1,Object D=1".

    Also "Object B=1" can have a reference to "Object D=2". The
    "reference"-attribute in "Object B=1" has the following path,

    "Object A=1,Object C=1,Object D=2"

    My question is if there is a tool where I can graphically create my
    model ( see my nice one !!!) and from that generate an xml file ( or
    xmi).

    Requirements:
    * It is important that when I create "Object B=1" it must be possible
    for "Object B=1" to know that it's parent is
    "Object A=1". When the hirarchy grows the child at the end should know
    the whole path to itself.

    * It is also important that a reference to an Object D=2 is created as
    "Object A=1,Object C=1,Object D=2"

    Has anyone done something similar? Any open-source tools for this? All
    ideas/questions are welcome.

    BR

    //Mikael

    Petterson Mikael, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Petterson Mikael

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Petterson Mikael wrote:
    > Has anyone done something similar? Any open-source tools for this? All
    > ideas/questions are welcome.

    You might be interested in graphviz, which is an open source tool for
    laying out neat graphs based on graph descriptions. It's not GPL, so
    read the license carefully.

    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 15, 2004