Modeling a Hosted Environment

Jim Slade

I just installed Windows Server 2003 on a new machine and want to test the
ability to run multiple sites off of one server - as would be found in a
hosted environment. What I'm interested in is how to set up the folder
hierarchies (file system) and virtual folders (IIS). I understand that
various hosting providers may have varying configurations - but I'm
wondering if there are any well-known approaches that are commonly found in
hosted environments that I could emulate on my server. I'm not asking how to
create the hierarchies - but rather where they are created. It's not all
under one Web folder as in a development machine (XP/Pro) - so what does it
look like on a non desktop server?

Separately there is the issue of connecting to the different Web sites from
clients: say the server has 3 Web sites (Site1.com, Site2.com and
Site3.com). Each site, AFAIK, must have its own IP address. How is this
accomplished when the server has only one or two NICs?

Thanks!