modelsim 6.3 license

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Clunixchit, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. Clunixchit

    Clunixchit Guest

    hello there,
    i'm installing during my internship modelsim 6.3 on some machines of
    my company.

    however on a perfect legal license, modelsim refuse to detect the
    license.

    this is how i did on fedora 7, after the installation,

    [root@goorah linuxle]# export LM_LICENSE_FILE="/opt/modelsim/
    modeltech/
    license.dat"
    [root@goorah linuxle]# ../bin/vsim

    Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment
    variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE)
    is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.
    Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
    ** Fatal: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

    [root@goorah linuxle]# lmutil lmdiag
    lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2005 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or
    Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    FLEXlm diagnostics on Wed 6/13/2007 22:19

    License file: /opt/modelsim/modeltech/license.dat
    "hdldesignerpro" v2010.05, vendor: modeltech
    uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address
    "000ae44aa899" starts: 6-feb-2005, expires: 01-jan-2010

    This is the correct node for this node-locked license

    Enter <CR> to continue:
    [....]

    then i press enter to continue with the other modules, without seeing
    errors on the terminal.

    can anyone tell me what/where i'm doing wrong ?

    Chitlesh
    Clunixchit, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Clunixchit

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Clunixchit" <> wrote in message
    > hello there,
    > i'm installing during my internship modelsim 6.3 on some machines of
    > my company.
    >
    > however on a perfect legal license, modelsim refuse to detect the
    > license.
    >
    > this is how i did on fedora 7, after the installation,
    >
    > [root@goorah linuxle]# export LM_LICENSE_FILE="/opt/modelsim/
    > modeltech/
    > license.dat"
    > [root@goorah linuxle]# ../bin/vsim
    >
    > Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment
    > variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE)
    > is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.
    > Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
    > ** Fatal: Invalid license environment. Application closing.
    >
    > [root@goorah linuxle]# lmutil lmdiag
    > lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2005 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or
    > Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    > FLEXlm diagnostics on Wed 6/13/2007 22:19

    > License file: /opt/modelsim/modeltech/license.dat
    > "hdldesignerpro" v2010.05, vendor: modeltech
    > uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address
    > "000ae44aa899" starts: 6-feb-2005, expires: 01-jan-2010

    This is an "interesting" license, a) it is for HDL Designer and not for
    Modelsim, b) the modeltech daemon is wrong and too old for Modelsim 6.3, c)
    the expire date is too far in the future (unless this is an archive
    license...) d) as far as I know Mentor doesn't provide any MAC based
    node-locked license under Linux, only floating is supported (at least that
    is what I was told when I asked them),

    Are you sure this is a "perfectly legal license".......

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Clunixchit wrote:
    > i'm installing during my internship modelsim 6.3 on some machines of
    > my company.
    >
    > however on a perfect legal license, modelsim refuse to detect the
    > license.
    > License file: /opt/modelsim/modeltech/license.dat
    > "hdldesignerpro" v2010.05, vendor: modeltech
    > uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address
    > "000ae44aa899" starts: 6-feb-2005, expires: 01-jan-2010
    >
    > This is the correct node for this node-locked license

    At least that is incorrect license for modelsim. That row is
    for hdl designer, not for modelsim. If you have the
    correct modelsim license then also check that your DISPLAY
    variable is not over 32 characters long, if it is the
    license manager will not work. You can fix the DISPLAY by
    using the numeric IP-address.

    --Kim
    Kim Enkovaara, Jun 14, 2007
  4. Clunixchit

    Clunixchit Guest

    On Jun 14, 10:50 am, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > Are you sure this is a "perfectly legal license".......

    At least it was what the technician told me.
    Clunixchit, Jun 14, 2007
  5. Clunixchit

    HT-Lab Guest

    HT-Lab, Jun 14, 2007
  6. On Jun 14, 5:38 am, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > > On Jun 14, 10:50 am, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > >> Are you sure this is a "perfectly legal license".......

    > > At least it was what the technician told me.

    > If you can dual boot to Windows then get one of these,
    >
    > http://www.model.com/resources/student_edition/student_download.asp

    Somehow, I'm not sure running the student edition of ModelSim on
    "company" computers qualifies as a legal license. And, of course, if
    it was a perfectly legit license, why not log onto SupportNet and ask
    a FAE ;)

    -- Edmond Coté
    =?iso-8859-1?B?RWRtb25kIENvdOk=?=, Jun 14, 2007
  7. HT-Lab wrote:

    > as far as I know Mentor doesn't provide any MAC based
    > node-locked license under Linux, only floating is supported

    Yes.
    All of the "low cost" licenses are windows only.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Jun 14, 2007
  8. On 14 Jun., 10:27, Clunixchit <> wrote:
    > however on a perfect legal license, modelsim refuse to detect the
    > license.

    Which version of LM are you running? If I rember right you need a
    rather new version for the newest Modelsim.

    bye Thomas
    Thomas Stanka, Jun 15, 2007