Modelsim error code 211 : segmentation violation....What to do ???

Oleg

Hi everybody .

I have modelsim 5.7d that is called from HDL designer for simulation.
the probleme is that when i execut the command : "add wave *" or "add
wave name" in modelsim it disappear completly (modelsim exit) and in
the HDL log window it say :

# 0 0x00511e4f: '<unknown (@0x511e4f)> + 0x6aaef'
# 1 0x00511e99: '<unknown (@0x511e99)> + 0x6ab39'

# Corrupt Call Stack
** Fatal: (SIGSEGV) Bad pointer access. Closing vsim.
** Fatal: vsim is exiting with code 211.
(Exit codes are defined in the ModelSim messages appendix
of the ModelSim User's Manual.)

in the modelsim manual its indicated that the code 211 means :
segmentation violation.
I dont know what to do to correcte the probleme, i'v tryed to delet
the modelsim.ini file, also to reinstal modelsim, its doesnt hepl....
So please can you tel me whats can i do to solve this problem.

Thanks for answering.

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

[...]

That's an error in Modelsim. Send an email to (e-mail address removed)
describing the problem, they will be able to help you.

Regards,

Kai

Hans

Or alternatively, try Modelsim 5.7e, 5.7f, 5.7g, or 5.8 although for the
latter one I would wait until HDL_Designer 2003.3 comes out (could be this
Monday!)

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Oleg

Hi hans

It does'nt solve the probleme to install other versions of modelsim, i
already try it. Its a memory access conflict, we have a bad pointer
error message : probably modelsim is traying to access a memory
segment that is not alocated for it. but i dont know how to solve this
probleme.....
Thanks for answering anyways.

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Hi hans

It does'nt solve the probleme to install other versions of modelsim, i
already try it. Its a memory access conflict, we have a bad pointer
error message : probably modelsim is traying to access a memory
segment that is not alocated for it. but i dont know how to solve this
probleme.....
Thanks for answering anyways.

Have you tried running it on a different computer? - it might be a
problem with a flaky RAM module (especially if it isn't an ECC
module).

Regards,

Kai

Oleg

Hi, Kai

Thanks for your interest to the problem and for taking a time to
answer, i realy appreciate.
I didnt test the software on other machine, i have to do it. But i
have tryed to run modelsim apart, it does the same problem....My RAM
module is 2x256 DDR 400mhz (not dual)Kingston Non-ECC module runing
with a P4 Pentium processor with 800 Mhz frontal bus. I have run
softwares for memory test (mem86 and others) before and it seems to be
ok, but i'll run it again to make sure that its ok.

Thanks again.

amok

I am having the same problem in my computer and although i have tried a lot of things i haven't found a solution yet. I am beggining to suspect that the installation of MATLAB has something to do witj it.
Has anybody found the answer to the problem yet?

Thanx for your time.

_dejaniv_

Hi!

Here is the solution to the problem:
Probably there are some other developing environments installed on your computer, such as Altera Quartus or MaxPlus. When you asked LicenseWizard to update LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable, it has changed it to something like this:

c:\maxplus2\license.dat;c:\Modelsim_5.7f\win32\license.dat

You should make this env variable to point ONLY to modelsim license file, like this:

c:\Modelsim_5.7f\win32\license.dat

Make sure both, System and User env variables are set to this value (Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables, for WinXP).

Then restart the system.

License.dat should be the same in c:\flexlm dir and in c:\Modelsim_5.7f\win32

If you still need to use other tools you may try to append contents of their license.dat to this file.

Cheers!

_dejaniv_

_dejaniv_ said:
[...]

Hi everyone, this probleme is due to the license. if you have a
license generated by crack tools it will give you this type of error
(# 211) that's it. its not RAM, PC or OS probleme in facte try to
install the starter modelsim that xilinx gives for free with there
webpack it will work fine. now if you tell the same modelsim to work
with the othere license (cracked) it will give you the same error
again.

Good luck.