ModelSim Error Msg

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Yogi V., Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Yogi V.

    Yogi V. Guest

    Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
    this error -
    # ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
    # No such file or directory.
    # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
    # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
    # ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
    # Error in macro ./system.do line 3

    # My system.do file is :
    ________________________
    do system_init.do

    vsim -c system_conf
    ________________________

    Any help/pointers are highly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    ModelSim 5.6 SE
    ISE 5.2i
    XPD 5.2i running EDK 3.2
    Yogi V., Jul 1, 2003

  2. "Yogi V." <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
    > this error -
    > # ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
    > # No such file or directory.
    > # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
    > # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
    > # ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
    > # Error in macro ./system.do line 3

    You have not yet created a mapping from logical library name
    "unisim" to the correct physical directory, so ModelSim guesses
    that you have put the unisim library in a directory "unisim"
    below the current working directory. But there is no such
    directory, or if there is, it doesn't contain a valid library.

    > # My system.do file is :
    > do system_init.do
    > vsim -c system_conf

    That doesn't help us a whole lot unless we know what's in
    system_init.do

    Check on how your unisim library has been compiled, and then
    issue the appropriate "vmap" command to ModelSim so that it
    knows where to find it. Once you've done this, ModelSim will
    update its modelsim.ini file in the current working directory
    and everything will be alright the next time you try to run it.

    Alternatively, if you don't yet have a compiled unisim library,
    you need to make one:

    vlib unisim_library ------ make the physical library
    vmap unisim unisim_library ------ tell ModelSim its name
    vcom -work unisim <all the Unisim source files>

    HTH
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:

    Jonathan Bromley, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Yogi V.

    Colm Clancy Guest

    This looks like the XILINX EDK flow.&nbsp; The unisims and simprims libraries are set in the MVS file (if using the the XPS GUI this file will be written by XPS and the location of unisim and simprim are set through the GUI).&nbsp; This is then written into the top of the system_comp.do in my case in system_comp.do I see vmap -c unisim /home/libs/installed_sol/unisim
    vmap -c simprim /home/libs/installed_sol/simprim System_comp.do is called by system_init.do.&nbsp; This is true for more recent versions of EDK if memory serves the flow changed - previously there was no system_comp.do, it was all contained in system_init.do

    Colm.

    Jonathan Bromley wrote: "Yogi V." &lt;> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
    > this error -
    > # ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
    > # No such file or directory.
    > # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
    > # ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
    > # ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
    > # Error in macro ./system.do line 3

    You have not yet created a mapping from logical library name
    "unisim" to the correct physical directory, so ModelSim guesses
    that you have put the unisim library in a directory "unisim"
    below the current working directory.&nbsp; But there is no such
    directory, or if there is, it doesn't contain a valid library.

    > # My system.do file is :
    > do system_init.do
    > vsim -c system_conf

    That doesn't help us a whole lot unless we know what's in
    system_init.do

    Check on how your unisim library has been compiled, and then
    issue the appropriate "vmap" command to ModelSim so that it
    knows where to find it.&nbsp; Once you've done this, ModelSim will
    update its modelsim.ini file in the current working directory
    and everything will be alright the next time you try to run it.

    Alternatively, if you don't yet have a compiled unisim library,
    you need to make one:

    vlib unisim_library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ------ make the physical library
    vmap unisim unisim_library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ------ tell ModelSim its name
    vcom -work unisim &lt;all the Unisim source files>

    HTH
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mail:
    Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Web: http://www.doulos.com

    Colm Clancy, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Yogi V.

    John Moore Guest

    In your modelsim.ini file, in the VHDL Section, you should have a line like:

    unisim = $MODEL_TECH/../xilinx/vhdl/unisim

    HTH
    John Moore
    John Moore, Jul 3, 2003