    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Petter Gustad, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Petter Gustad

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Petter Gustad" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I'm a long time Linux user but I'm currently stuck with a Modelsim PE
    > USB dongle. Unfortunately the Modelsim LE (Linux Edition) is Verilog
    > only and the SE edition is quite expensive.

    I would suggest you complain to Mentor (I did). It is quite annoying that VHDL
    users are considered second class users to Verilog and we are not only talking
    about PE/VHDL on Linux here.

    > I've used lots of other
    > EDA tools in the past, and they don't seem to discriminate Linux in
    > this way. So I've tried to run Windows XP as a guest OS in VirtualBox.
    >
    > The USB dongle is detected in Windows, but most of the time Windows
    > will crash or I will not get a license when I either try to run the
    > license check or start vsim.

    When is fails run "lmutil lmhostid -flexid" and see if your 9-xxxxxxx dongle id
    is being returned, if not then Virtualbox might be the issue. I am not that
    familiar with Virtualbox but there are Linux USB dongle drivers available on the
    Hasp website so perhaps you can install the drivers under Linux and somehow
    share that port under Virtualbox? Other suggestion is to try Vmware.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Jun 18, 2009

  3. Brian Drummond <> writes:

    > I presume you are using the Sun Virtualbox not the open source one, since you

    Correct. More speficically version 2.2.4.

    > I recommend taking a look at kvm

    Thank you. I'll look into KVM.

    Petter
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Petter Gustad, Jun 18, 2009
  4. Petter Gustad

    Guest

    On Jun 18, 10:45 am, Petter Gustad <> wrote:
    > Brian Drummond <> writes:
    > > I presume you are using the Sun Virtualbox not the open source one, since you

    > Correct. More speficically version 2.2.4.
    >
    > > I recommend taking a look at kvm

    > Thank you. I'll look into KVM.
    >
    > Petter
    > --
    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    > A: Top-posting.

    Works for me - the trick it seems is to ensure that you are running
    with hardware virtualization enabled. Otherwise the USB dongle driver
    crashes the system. I've only tried this on a core2 duo and core i7 -
    not sure about AMD processors.
    , Jun 18, 2009
  5. "HT-Lab" <> writes:

    > I would suggest you complain to Mentor (I did).

    Good point.

    > When is fails run "lmutil lmhostid -flexid" and see if your
    > 9-xxxxxxx dongle id

    Sometimes I see the dongle ID. Other times I just see the ethernet id
    (when using the license check GUI), and most of the time it will just
    crash and reboot the virtual machine.

    BTW I always see the dongle in the device manager under Windows.

    > is being returned, if not then Virtualbox might be the issue. I am
    > not that familiar with Virtualbox but there are Linux USB dongle
    > drivers available on the Hasp website so perhaps you can install the
    > drivers under Linux and somehow share that port under Virtualbox?

    It should be transparent so there should be no driver.

    > Other suggestion is to try Vmware.

    Have anybody tried Modelsim PE under Vmware or KVM and know that it
    works?

    Petter
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Petter Gustad, Jun 18, 2009
  6. "" <> writes:

    >> Thank you. I'll look into KVM.

    > Works for me - the trick it seems is to ensure that you are running
    > with hardware virtualization enabled. Otherwise the USB dongle driver
    > crashes the system. I've only tried this on a core2 duo and core i7 -
    > not sure about AMD processors.

    Thanks. Looks like KVM is the first thing to try out...

    Petter

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Petter Gustad, Jun 18, 2009
  7. Petter Gustad

    Guest

    On Jun 18, 11:32 am, Petter Gustad <> wrote:
    > "" <> writes:
    > >> Thank you. I'll look into KVM.

    > > Works for me - the trick it seems is to ensure that you are running
    > > with hardware virtualization enabled.  Otherwise the USB dongle driver
    > > crashes the system.  I've only tried this on a core2 duo and core i7 -
    > > not sure about AMD processors.

    > Thanks. Looks like KVM is the first thing to try out...

    Sorry, didn't express myself too well there. It was VirtualBox I was
    speaking about.

    I did get it working it working in KVM as well but that also took a
    bit of fiddling (needed the latest dongle drivers I think).

    Andy.
    , Jun 18, 2009
  8. "" <> writes:

    > Sorry, didn't express myself too well there. It was VirtualBox I was
    > speaking about.

    OK I see.

    Petter
    --