ModelSim 'vmake' and bash is not generating properly formatted Makefile

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by BlackHelicopter, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. BlackHelicopter

    BlackHelicopter

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    I'm running into an issue with generating a Makefile from ModelSim

    I start by running:
    $ vmake > Makefile

    And find that the resulting Makefile is not properly formatted. Instead of lines starting with a tab, lines start with 4 spaces.

    Then when I try to run it using:
    $ make -f Makefile

    I get output saying
    **make: Nothing to be done for `whole_library'.**

    Then if I fix up the makefile it works. So I'm not quite sure if this is a problem with 'vmake', bash, or linux?

    Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

    **Update**
    I might be an idiot and didn't clean out the .dat files out of the compilation library directory first. I think that's why I got the.. "Nothing to be done for 'whole_library'" error.

    In the Emacs vhdl-mode makefile generator I noticed it creates a command called 'clean' to remove the .dat files. I must need to do this first.

    Sorry I'm new to this sort of thing and am trying to learn my way around.

    **Update 2**
    Apparently if I don't modify any of the vhdl files I get the same thing. So I've seen that I need to use the touch' cmd in linux to update the files.

    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    BlackHelicopter, Sep 16, 2013