    vhdl files for other projects. I have Modelsim Student edition.

    How do I fix this problem?

    Thanks
    FPGA, Feb 5, 2008

  2. FPGA

    scottcarl

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Messages:
    49
    Location:
    USA
    Ahhh Modelsim,

    You have apparently happened upon another outstanding bug hidden within this horendous software tool (Modelsim that is). Try to get away from Modelsim as quickly as possible for many other catestrophic bugs lurk within its domain. I'm sure I'll get some heat over this comment but these bugs have existed in Modelsim for over 10 years and they don't feel the need to ever fix them.
    However, it almost sounds like you are running up against a certain initialization runtime error that occurs when thousands of loops(delta times) run before actually starting the simulation. There is a switch somewhere that allows you to increase this startup/initialization loop count to a much hight number, like 100,000 possibly that will allow your simulation to start up.
    Scott C
    scottcarl, Feb 5, 2008

  3. FPGA wrote:

    > # ** Warning: Design size of 10053 statements or 1 leaf instances
    > exceeds ModelSim PE Student Edition recommended capacity.
    > # Expect performance to be quite adversely affected.

    > How do I fix this problem?

    Remove 53 lines or buy a license.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Feb 5, 2008
  4. FPGA

    FPGA Guest

    On Feb 5, 2:20 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > FPGA wrote:
    > > # ** Warning: Design size of 10053 statements or 1 leaf instances
    > > exceeds ModelSim PE Student Edition recommended capacity.
    > > # Expect performance to be quite adversely affected.
    > > How do I fix this problem?

    > Remove 53 lines or buy a license.
    >
    >       -- Mike Treseler

    I want to add the ieee_proposed library which can be found at
    http://www.vhdl.org/vhdl-200x/vhdl-200x-ft/packages/files.html . I
    was
    unsuccessfull in adding it the last time, so I just copy pasted the
    files in the current work directory. Now, I am getting warnings that
    # ** Warning: Design size of 10053 statements or 1 leaf instances
    exceeds ModelSim PE Student Edition recommended capacity.
    # Expect performance to be quite adversely affected.

    I just found out that the packages in ieee_proposed that I added in
    the work dir are huge and thats what is causing the problem. Please
    suggest on how to add this library and also if I would still get the
    same problems with the size even after adding the packages into a
    library

    Thanks
    FPGA, Feb 5, 2008
  5. FPGA wrote:

    > I just found out that the packages in ieee_proposed that I added in
    > the work dir are huge and thats what is causing the problem.

    Glad you figured it out.

    > Please
    > suggest on how to add this library and also if I would still get the
    > same problems with the size even after adding the packages into a
    > library

    It won't matter where the library is.
    You are over the limit of the student license,
    once you compile it into any library.
    Pick a simpler project or call Mentor.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Feb 5, 2008
  6. FPGA

    FPGA Guest

    On Feb 5, 4:52 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > FPGA wrote:
    > > I just found out that the packages in ieee_proposed that I added in
    > > the work dir are huge and thats what is causing the problem.

    > Glad you figured it out.
    >
    > > Please
    > > suggest on how to add this library and also if I would still get the
    > > same problems with the size even after adding the packages into a
    > > library

    > It won't matter where the library is.
    > You are over the limit of the student license,
    > once you compile it into any library.
    > Pick a simpler project or call Mentor.
    >
    >        -- Mike Treseler

    Which tol do you suggest I use. I work on VHDL and Verilog. I need
    something very basic.
    FPGA, Feb 5, 2008
  7. FPGA

    Dave Pollum Guest

    On Feb 5, 5:04 pm, FPGA <> wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 4:52 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >

    > > FPGA wrote:
    > > > I just found out that the packages in ieee_proposed that I added in
    > > > the work dir are huge and thats what is causing the problem.

    > > Glad you figured it out.

    > > > Please
    > > > suggest on how to add this library and also if I would still get the
    > > > same problems with the size even after adding the packages into a
    > > > library

    > > It won't matter where the library is.
    > > You are over the limit of the student license,
    > > once you compile it into any library.
    > > Pick a simpler project or call Mentor.

    > > -- Mike Treseler

    > Which tol do you suggest I use. I work on VHDL and Verilog. I need
    > something very basic.

    Some companies, for example Xilinx, have full-featured products (i.e.
    high-demo boards) at very low prices. Perhaps Mentor or some other
    simulator company would be able to help you.
    HTH
    -Dave Pollum
    Dave Pollum, Feb 7, 2008