    to support modem transfears?

    regards
    Daniel

    Daniel, May 2, 2005

  2. Daniel wrote:
    > 1. Is it possible to rely on the host OS to do the calling? I.e the
    > user connect using some external program, and then my program just
    > "hooks in" on the modem and use it?

    In general, no. If you run some higher-level protocol, then some OSs can
    automatically set up a e.g. PPP connection over a modem, including modem
    dialing. But since you claim you run an own communication protocol, I
    would very much doubt that your OS will do it for you.

    > 2. Will I need to do any major changes to my communications protocoll
    > to support modem transfears?

    Yes, you will at least have to add modem control to your code. E.g. for
    dialing out and for answering.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, May 2, 2005

  3. "Daniel" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    > I have a question regarding modem support. What I have is an
    > application that uses a nullmodem and javax.comm for it's
    > communication. I would like to extend this to include modem support.
    > So why questions are
    > 1. Is it possible to rely on the host OS to do the calling? I.e the
    > user connect using some external program, and then my program just
    > "hooks in" on the modem and use it?

    I guess not, because only one program can 'own' the modem at a time. You
    cannot normally transfer control without opening and closing the port. But
    Java can also dial a number.

    > 2. Will I need to do any major changes to my communications protocoll
    > to support modem transfears?

    Not if you were already using javax.comm.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, May 2, 2005