modern replacement for <Applet> tag

Andrew Thompson

This Sun developer information:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/applet_tag.html
does not make it sound like the APPLET tag is being killed off.

The trouble is, I do not trust Sun's competence
on the matter. Let's start with the page itself..

No obvious sign of a date, but has statements like..
"Applet tag support currently does not work on Netscape 4."
The applet tag works in NN 4.8, which has been out about
a million computer years.

Does not validate. Which leads to..
"This release of Java Plug-in supports the use of
APPLET tags for launching applets. However, it is
also fully *backward* compatible with previous
Java Plug-in releases in its support of the OBJECT
tag for launching "

Whaaaat? This suggests the <OBJECT> element is
the one should be deprecated, but that's not how
the W3C sees it.

That page then links directly to this page
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html>
Which mentions the (always) invalid <EMBED>
element and reverts to the story that the
<APPLET> element is old while <OBJECT> is
the 'new improved' way (there was also a mention
of the 'new' 1.3, so if this be the latest Sun
stuff, maybe they need to pull their heads out of
their 21" monitored 2.X GigaHerz CPU'd Solaris
based beasties long enough to smell the damn roses)..

What are we supposed to think besides
'Sun does not have a clue' when it comes
to their Applets interacting with browsers
out there on the big bad internet?

...maybe I have been fighting browsers too much
tonight though, might explain my foul mood. :-(