modify this c++ source code

c++ newbie

hello gurus of C++ programming,

I am a student doing my masters in computer applications.I am a bit
experienced in VB 6.0.I am currently doing a project in vb 6.

To accompish a certain task I have to use C++ programming.So I searched
for the sample coding in the web and I found some source code.

The C++source code reads the hardware manufacturer information from the
harddisk like its

Serial number[the permanent harddisk serial number and not the volume
information which changes on formatting]this cannot be done from VB
and some other datas which I am not interested in.

I am a novice in C++ programming.

currently on running the exe the exe displays the informations to the
user and closes itself(pretty quickly).

I would like you guys to help me in the following areas.

I dont want the exe to display any info to the user,
instead there will be a text file named "sno" [sno.txt opens with
Notepad] at the location "c:\windows\"

On running the exe file
The Drive serial number must be written to the text file "sno"(just the
DRIVE SERIAL NUMBER and nothing else either before or after it).

(if the above number could be copied to the windows clipboard it would
be a better option)

And then the exe should exit.(as it does now)

I am attaching the C++ source code,the exe file and a screen capture of
the result it generates.
(the executable runs very fast: so run the executable by having your
finger on the print screen key and as soon as it runs copy the screen
paste it on any image editing software and you can get the info)

I tried to modify the code by myself but of no use.It wont even compile

I want you guys to help me in modifying the code and compile it into an
executable file.After doing so please send me back the modified source
code and the compiled exe file.

send it to
(e-mail address removed)

http://rapidshare.de/files/8636424/c___help.zip.html

Expecting help from you guys

Alf P. Steinbach

* c++ newbie:
I want you guys to help me in modifying the code and compile it into an
executable file.After doing so please send me back the modified source
code and the compiled exe file.

Disappear, please.

W Marsh

hello gurus of C++ programming,

I am a student doing my masters in computer applications.I am a bit
experienced in VB 6.0.I am currently doing a project in vb 6.

I hope you fail.

No, I really do. You'll probably have graduated by next year and take
up yet another programming job that could have been given to a capable
person who put time and effort into his studies.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

c++ newbie said:
hello gurus of C++ programming,

I am a student doing my masters in computer applications.

From a student doing his masters I would expect to be able
to do it himself. If you don't know C++ then go to your
local library, grab a book about C++ and start reading.
Eventually you will begin understanding what's going
on in your source code. *Then* start modifying the code
until it does what you expect.

As said: From a master, I would expect that he is able to do that.

Kevin Handy

c++ newbie said:
hello gurus of C++ programming,

I am a student doing my masters in computer applications.I am a bit
experienced in VB 6.0.I am currently doing a project in vb 6.

A *MASTERS* in computer science, and you only know a 'bit'
about Visual Basic? Nothing else? I suggust going to a
different college that actually teaches computer science,
including non-MicroSoft ideas. You are really wasting
your time at your current place. Most people who have spent
over 4 years in computer science know more that a 'bit'
about a single language.