Modifying an existing excel spreadsheet

Ed Keith

I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.

I found the tools here http://www.python-excel.org/,  and http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).

My first thought was to copy the template, open the copy, modify it and save the modifications. But it looks like if I open an existing spreadsheet it must be read only. So I tried to  open the template, copy it to a new spreadsheet and write the new spreadsheet, but I can't seem to copy the images, and it looks like copying the formatting is going to be difficult.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,

   -EdK

Ed Keith

(e-mail address removed)

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

Jon Clements

[...]

Have you tried: http://groups.google.com/group/python-excel
and searching the archives for "template"? Similar questions have
come up before there.

hth

Jon

John Machin

I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.

I found the tools herehttp://www.python-excel.org/, andhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).

pyExcelerator is abandonware. Use xlwt instead; it's a bug-fixed/
maintained/enhanced fork of pyExcelerator

Read the tutorial that you'll find mentioned on http://www.python-excel.org

Join the google group that's also mentioned there; look at past
questions, ask some more, ...