Modifying an existing excel spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ed Keith, Dec 20, 2010.

  1. Ed Keith

    Ed Keith Guest

    I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.

    I found the tools here http://www.python-excel.org/,  and http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).

    My first thought was to copy the template, open the copy, modify it and save the modifications. But it looks like if I open an existing spreadsheet it must be read only. So I tried to  open the template, copy it to a new spreadsheet and write the new spreadsheet, but I can't seem to copy the images, and it looks like copying the formatting is going to be difficult.

    Can anyone give me any tips or advice?

    Thanks in advance,

       -EdK

    Ed Keith

    Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com
    Ed Keith, Dec 20, 2010

  2. Ed Keith

    Jon Clements Guest

    On Dec 20, 9:56 pm, Ed Keith <> wrote:
    > I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.
    >
    > I found the tools herehttp://www.python-excel.org/, andhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).
    >
    > My first thought was to copy the template, open the copy, modify it and save the modifications. But it looks like if I open an existing spreadsheet it must be read only. So I tried to  open the template, copy it to a new spreadsheet and write the new spreadsheet, but I can't seem to copy the images, and it looks like copying the formatting is going to be difficult.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any tips or advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    >    -EdK
    >
    > Ed Keith
    >

    > Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

    Have you tried: http://groups.google.com/group/python-excel
    and searching the archives for "template"? Similar questions have
    come up before there.

    hth

    Jon
    Jon Clements, Dec 21, 2010

  3. Ed Keith

    John Machin Guest

    On Dec 21, 8:56 am, Ed Keith <> wrote:
    > I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.
    >
    > I found the tools herehttp://www.python-excel.org/, andhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).

    pyExcelerator is abandonware. Use xlwt instead; it's a bug-fixed/
    maintained/enhanced fork of pyExcelerator

    Read the tutorial that you'll find mentioned on http://www.python-excel.org

    Join the google group that's also mentioned there; look at past
    questions, ask some more, ...
    John Machin, Dec 22, 2010