Module Name Conflicts

torched_smurf

I have a java program in a package called 'cmd'. This of course
conflicts with the builtin python package of the same name. The thing
is, I need to be able to import from both of these packages in the same
script. I can import either one first, but any future attempt to import
from cmd.* will look up the first cmd that was imported, so the second
package is essentially eclipsed. I've tried fiddling with sys.path and
sys.packageManager.searchPath, to no avail. To answer the obvious first
suggestion, no I can't rename the java package to 'Cmd' or anything
like that. Any ideas?

-Smurf

ncf

Maybe what you're looking for is __import__()?
Help on built-in function __import__ in module __builtin__:

__import__(...)
__import__(name, globals, locals, fromlist) -> module

Import a module. The globals are only used to determine the
context;
they are not modified. The locals are currently unused. The
fromlist
should be a list of names to emulate ``from name import ...'', or
an
empty list to emulate ``import name''.
When importing a module from a package, note that __import__('A.B',
....)
returns package A when fromlist is empty, but its submodule B when
fromlist is not empty.

Dan Sommers

On 18 Aug 2005 16:06:46 -0700,
I have a java program in a package called 'cmd'. This of course
conflicts with the builtin python package of the same name. The thing
is, I need to be able to import from both of these packages in the same
script. I can import either one first, but any future attempt to import
from cmd.* will look up the first cmd that was imported, so the second
package is essentially eclipsed. I've tried fiddling with sys.path and
sys.packageManager.searchPath, to no avail. To answer the obvious first
suggestion, no I can't rename the java package to 'Cmd' or anything
like that. Any ideas?

Assuming you can fiddle with sys.path at the right times, you can call
an imported module anything you want:

fix_sys_path_to_find_java_cmd_first()
import cmd as java_cmd
fix_sys_path_to_find_python_cmd_first()
import cmd as python_cmd

Obviously, then, 'cmd' does not reference either module; you'd have to
use java_cmd and python_cmd as appropriate.

HTH,
Dan

Robert Kern

Dan said:
Assuming you can fiddle with sys.path at the right times, you can call
an imported module anything you want:

fix_sys_path_to_find_java_cmd_first()
import cmd as java_cmd
fix_sys_path_to_find_python_cmd_first()
import cmd as python_cmd

Obviously, then, 'cmd' does not reference either module; you'd have to
use java_cmd and python_cmd as appropriate.

That doesn't work. The first module is recorded as 'cmd' in sys.modules
and gets reused on the second import.

[~]$ mkdir foo1
[~]$ mkdir foo2
[~]$ touch foo1/blah.py
[~]$ touch foo2/blah.py
[~]$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.insert(0,'foo1')
>>> import blah as blah1
>>> sys.path.insert(0,'foo2')
>>> import blah as blah2
>>> sys.modules['blah']

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

torched_smurf

Robert said:
That doesn't work. The first module is recorded as 'cmd' in sys.modules
and gets reused on the second import.

Exactly. And clearing sys.modules doesn't fix the problem. Once it's
imported something from the first cmd package, it can no longer find
anything in another cmd package; it will always look for it in that
first package.

-Smurf

Robert Kern

I have a java program in a package called 'cmd'. This of course
conflicts with the builtin python package of the same name. The thing
is, I need to be able to import from both of these packages in the same
script. I can import either one first, but any future attempt to import
from cmd.* will look up the first cmd that was imported, so the second
package is essentially eclipsed. I've tried fiddling with sys.path and
sys.packageManager.searchPath, to no avail. To answer the obvious first
suggestion, no I can't rename the java package to 'Cmd' or anything
like that. Any ideas?

Why not copy cmd.py into your package under a different name?

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

torched_smurf

ncf said:
Maybe what you're looking for is __import__()?

Help on built-in function __import__ in module __builtin__:

__import__(...)
__import__(name, globals, locals, fromlist) -> module

Import a module. The globals are only used to determine the
context;
they are not modified. The locals are currently unused. The
fromlist
should be a list of names to emulate ``from name import ...'', or
an
empty list to emulate ``import name''.
When importing a module from a package, note that __import__('A.B',
...)
returns package A when fromlist is empty, but its submodule B when
fromlist is not empty.

Using this doesn't appear to work any better than regular old import.

-Smurf

torched_smurf

Robert said:
Why not copy cmd.py into your package under a different name?

It offends my sense of modularity. For the record, I'm trying to use
pdb, the debugger, which in turn uses cmd. So it would be a matter of
taking pdb.py and hacking it to import a renamed version of cmd... kind
of messy and not a very good longterm solution. That's not to say I
won't resort to it if no better options are forthcoming.

-Smurf

Peter Hansen

Exactly. And clearing sys.modules doesn't fix the problem. Once it's
imported something from the first cmd package, it can no longer find
anything in another cmd package; it will always look for it in that
first package.

That part isn't correct. Removing the entry from sys.modules should
(and has, for me, in the past) worked fine to let a second import reload
a module, or find a new module after sys.path has been tweaked. Try it
again.

-Peter

ncf

I'm honestly not too sure how __import__ works, but I know you can
provide a full path to it. Oh well, that was my best guess. I wish I
could've been of more help. -Wes

torched_smurf

ncf said:
Maybe what you're looking for is __import__()?

Okay, actually this does work, but only in one direction. That is, I
can import the python package first, and then the java package, but not
the other way around.

Importing the python cmd first:

$~> jython
Jython 2.2a1 on java1.4.2_08 (JIT: null)
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.<java package cmd 1>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ java package

Importing the java cmd first:

$~> jython
Jython 2.2a1 on java1.4.2_08 (JIT: null)
import sys
sys.path.insert(0, java_classpath)
__import__('cmd')
sys.path = sys.path[1:]
sys.modules.clear()
__import__('cmd')
<java package cmd 1>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ java package, again

Robert Kern

It offends my sense of modularity. For the record, I'm trying to use
pdb, the debugger, which in turn uses cmd. So it would be a matter of
taking pdb.py and hacking it to import a renamed version of cmd... kind
of messy and not a very good longterm solution. That's not to say I
won't resort to it if no better options are forthcoming.

A solution more kind to your sensibilities might be to make an auxiliary
package alongside (rather than inside) yours. No modification to source
necessary.

pystdlib/
__init__.py
cmd.py
pdb.py

Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Bengt Richter

Dan said:
[...]

How about (untested)

import new
blah1 = new.module('blah')
execfile('./foo1/blah.py', blah1.__dict__)
blah2 = new.module('blah')
execfile('./foo2/blah.py', blah2.__dict__)

Of course, there is the issue of caching .pyc's and what to put in
sys.path and sys.modules, but blah1 and blah2 ought to be usable, I think.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Rocco Moretti

I have a java program in a package called 'cmd'. This of course
conflicts with the builtin python package of the same name. The thing
is, I need to be able to import from both of these packages in the same
script. I can import either one first, but any future attempt to import
from cmd.* will look up the first cmd that was imported, so the second
package is essentially eclipsed. I've tried fiddling with sys.path and
sys.packageManager.searchPath, to no avail. To answer the obvious first
suggestion, no I can't rename the java package to 'Cmd' or anything
like that. Any ideas?

-Smurf

Never used it myself, but you can try to use the builtin 'imp' module.

Python Library Reference
3.21 imp -- Access the import internals

This module provides an interface to the mechanisms used to implement
the import statement. It defines the following constants and functions:

ncf

Heh, so long as it works. Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a bit
;P Hope it's all owrking out
-Wes