Module that includes both class and instance methods?

Steve Midgley

Hello,

I'm trying to create a module that will have class and instance methods
that are made available to any object that includes it. I can do the
job with two lines of code but would prefer to do it with one line of
code if possible (to make sure no one tries to foolishly use only one
half of the functionality - it should be all or nothing). Here's what I
have so far:

[code starts]
module Models
module Ver
def Ver.is_versioned(object)
include Models::VersionsTables::InstanceMethods
object.extend Models::VersionsTables::ClassMethods
end
end
module VersionsTables
module InstanceMethods
def instance_test
"instance test"
end
end
module ClassMethods
def class_test
"class_test"
end
end
end
end

class Live
Models::Ver::is_versioned(self)
#include Models::VersionsTables::InstanceMethods
#extend Models::VersionsTables::ClassMethods
end
puts "::"+Live.class_test
live = Live.new
puts live.instance_test

[code ends]

My code can get the class methods fine - "object.extend" works like a
charm: I can't figure out what the equivalent is for an instance
method.

Or perhaps there's a wonderful way to do this using entirely different
syntax? I'd love to be able to say: "extend Modules::Ver" or something
like that and have it work - but it seems that no code gets executed
that's left open in the Ver module when that module is included or
extended?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you for any help!

Steve
-
The law is an envious monster.
- Rex Stout

Austin Ziegler

I'm trying to create a module that will have class and instance methods
that are made available to any object that includes it. I can do the
job with two lines of code but would prefer to do it with one line of
code if possible (to make sure no one tries to foolishly use only one
half of the functionality - it should be all or nothing). Here's what I
have so far:

Please dig through the archives for this. It has been discussed many
different times with at least a half dozen different solutions.

And at least as many people (myself included) wondering why one would
ever want to consider tightly coupling something like this.

-austin