module to ping a remote computer

anonymous

Has anyone here created a module for pinging a remote computer via the ping
command and displaying a green/red led light button on the local computer
depending upon the response back? This would be a very simple automatic
monitor.

Radovan Garabik

anonymous said:
Has anyone here created a module for pinging a remote computer via the ping
command and displaying a green/red led light button on the local computer
depending upon the response back? This would be a very simple automatic
monitor.

Jeremy Hylton, jeremy @ cnri.reston.va.us did develop a ping class.
I have a copy of it because I wanted to use it in some other project,
but never got enough time to finish it. I can send you a copy if you
want.

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

Andrew Dalke

anonymous said:
Has anyone here created a module for pinging a remote computer via the ping
command and displaying a green/red led light button on the local computer
depending upon the response back? This would be a very simple automatic
monitor.

Years ago (1998) I wrote a Python wrapper to the command-line
ping program and had it play a sound. Search the newsgroup
archives for "sndping". Here's a Google link

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&output=gplain

Uggh! I mixed spaces and tabs back then. :(

One problem about ping in the local process is that I believe
it requires root privs. You should likely wrap the
command-line program instead, as I did.

This is exactly the sort of task 'expect' was created for.
You might look at that (it's a Tcl package) or one of the
Python equivalents.

Andrew
(e-mail address removed)