Modules in rails? ( controllers or models?)

malugu satyajit

Hello,

I have an rails application that has almost similar function for three
classes. So I am thinking to create a parent class and then the sub classes
inherit from it. But rails already inherits from ActiveRecord(models) or
ApplicationController(controller).

So how can I inherit from others classes. My my ruby knowledge it is modules
and then you mixin the module in your class.

Now my question, where you write the module in rails is it in controller or
model? Can some one provide me links or guidance.

--
Regards,
M.Satyajit

thefed

Hello,

I have an rails application that has almost similar function for three
classes. So I am thinking to create a parent class and then the sub
classes
inherit from it. But rails already inherits from ActiveRecord
(models) or
ApplicationController(controller).

So how can I inherit from others classes. My my ruby knowledge it
is modules
and then you mixin the module in your class.

Now my question, where you write the module in rails is it in
controller or
model? Can some one provide me links or guidance.

You can create a parent class that inherits from ActiveRecord or
ApplicationController.
Then, your subclasses can inherit from the parent class.

This may or may not work, and this is a question for the rails list

_______________________________|
- Ari
I just bought another case of RockStar. Expect architectural changes.

Todd Benson

Hello,

I have an rails application that has almost similar function for three
classes. So I am thinking to create a parent class and then the sub classes
inherit from it. But rails already inherits from ActiveRecord(models) or
ApplicationController(controller).

So how can I inherit from others classes. My my ruby knowledge it is modules
and then you mixin the module in your class.

Now my question, where you write the module in rails is it in controller or
model? Can some one provide me links or guidance.

Well, from a kindergartener's perspective (namely, mine), I would
think that if your classes represent tuples of data in a database,
they would be models, and you would add functionality by having the
model classes (those that inherit from ActiveRecord::Base) require the
necessary mixin themselves, or make use of #extend. I think, however,
it is highly dependent on your situation.

I'm sure you can find some best practices advice from the rails list.
The one I have bookmarked is:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk.

Todd