Modulo ?

Zayd Connor

Maybe i need to get some sleep, but can someone explain how modulos
work?

Thanks

7

7stud --

Zayd said:
Maybe i need to get some sleep, but can someone explain how modulos
work?

Thanks

result = 7 % 3
puts result

--output:--
1

7 has two 3's in it, and after removing those two 3's from 7, the
remainder is 1.

Brian Adkins

Zayd Connor said:
Maybe i need to get some sleep, but can someone explain how modulos
work?

From "Discrete Mathematics by Rosen":

"Let a be an integer and m be a positive integer. We denote by a mod m
the remainder when a is divided by m.

It follows from the definition of remainder that a mod m is the
integer r such that:

a = q * m + r and 0 <= r < m "

This is all assuming you didn't type an 'o' when you meant 'e' ;)

Rob Biedenharn

This seems completely unnecessary. There was already a great response
from Brian who not only directly addressed the "modulos", but also
picked up and pointed out (subtly) that the question might have been
about "modules". Something that makes perfect sense, but I certainly
didn't see that possibility.

And did you Google modulo or module yourself to see how useful the
result really is? If you're going to simply shout lmgtfy, at least put
"ruby" in there, too (well, for module, not for modulo ;-)

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Zayd Connor

Rob said:
This seems completely unnecessary. There was already a great response
from Brian who not only directly addressed the "modulos", but also
picked up and pointed out (subtly) that the question might have been
about "modules". Something that makes perfect sense, but I certainly
didn't see that possibility.

And did you Google modulo or module yourself to see how useful the
result really is? If you're going to simply shout lmgtfy, at least put
"ruby" in there, too (well, for module, not for modulo ;-)

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Thanks guys,(singing) I can see clearly now the rain is gone :). Maybe I
should have been more clear and added the % sign when mentioning modulo,
so I wouldn't confuse anyone thinking I meant modules :)

Thanks

Michael Malone

Thanks guys,(singing) I can see clearly now the rain is gone :). Maybe I
should have been more clear and added the % sign when mentioning modulo,
so I wouldn't confuse anyone thinking I meant modules :)

Thanks
Though there is one thing I would like to point out: 0 % 7 = 0
So 'remainder' is not strictly true

Michael

addressee. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

Sebastian Hungerecker

Michael said:
Though there is one thing I would like to point out: 0 % 7 = 0
So 'remainder' is not strictly true

Sorry I don't follow you. What's the remainder of 0/7 if not 0?
0-7*0 is 0, is it not?

Confused,
Sebastian

Michael Malone

Sebastian said:
Sorry I don't follow you. What's the remainder of 0/7 if not 0?
0-7*0 is 0, is it not?

Confused,
Sebastian
Many people I know and work with simplify the modulo operator to
themselves as remainder, so mentally (whether or not it is correct)
assume 0/7 = 0 r 7
I am just making an explicit example of this not necessarily obvious
case. It's totally fine when one knows the semantics of modulo, it's
the simplification to remainder that many people make that causes
problems here.

Michael

addressee. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

Rob Biedenharn

Many people I know and work with simplify the modulo operator to
themselves as remainder, so mentally (whether or not it is correct)
assume 0/7 = 0 r 7
I am just making an explicit example of this not necessarily obvious
case. It's totally fine when one knows the semantics of modulo,
it's the simplification to remainder that many people make that
causes problems here.

Michael

[I hope this survives email formatting...]

__0_r_0_
7 ) 0
0*7 => -0
==
0

Just because people can't understand division and remainders isn't
enough to keep them away from technical discussions. The original
response (which I deleted months ago [or was that yesterday?]) had an
accurate definition.

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Sebastian Hungerecker

Michael said:
Many people I know and work with simplify the modulo operator to
themselves as remainder, so mentally (whether or not it is correct)
assume 0/7 = 0 r 7

Maybe I'm slow, but I don't get it.
You're saying that many people assume that x % y is the same as the remainder
of dividing x by y, right? I don't see anything wrong with that.
If I understand you correctly, you're also saying that this assumption is
wrong in the case of 0%7. I don't understand why that should be the case. The
remainder of 0/7 is 0, right? And 0%7 is also 0, so where's the problem?

Still confused,
Sebastian

Michael Malone

Sebastian said:
Maybe I'm slow, but I don't get it.
You're saying that many people assume that x % y is the same as the remainder
of dividing x by y, right? I don't see anything wrong with that.
If I understand you correctly, you're also saying that this assumption is
wrong in the case of 0%7. I don't understand why that should be the case. The
remainder of 0/7 is 0, right? And 0%7 is also 0, so where's the problem?

Still confused,
Sebastian
Sorry for confusing everyone here, I just know of a particular case
where 0%7 = 7 was assumed. I was trying to stop this happening again,
but I think I've caused more confusion than it's worth. Sorry folks.
Ignore my post and you'll sleep more easily.

Michael

addressee. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

John W Kennedy

Maybe I'm slow, but I don't get it.
You're saying that many people assume that x % y is the same as the remainder
of dividing x by y, right? I don't see anything wrong with that.
If I understand you correctly, you're also saying that this assumption is
wrong in the case of 0%7. I don't understand why that should be the case. The
remainder of 0/7 is 0, right? And 0%7 is also 0, so where's the problem?

Going by the usual definition of "remainder", there is a difference
between modulo and remainder when negative numbers get involved.

remainder(a,b) = a - trunc(a/b) * b
modulo(a,b) = a - floor(a/b) * b

Yossef Mendelssohn

Sorry for confusing everyone here, I just know of a particular case
where 0%7 =3D 7 was assumed.

This is confusing. As in 0%7 =3D 7 is very confusing.

A mod B shouldn't have a result that's equal to or greater than B. If
that happens, you take a B out until you can't anymore. The remainder
when A is divided by B is the same thing. If you end up with something
greater than B, you stopped too soon.

As John W. Kennedy pointed out, the difference between modulo and a
simple remainder comes up when dealing with negative numbers.