Mongrel1.1.6 Installation not working with Ruby 1.9.1 in Win

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Anand Srinu, Aug 22, 2010.

  1. Anand Srinu

    Anand Srinu Guest

    Hi There,

    I am facing with this problem where I am trying to install mongrel in my
    dev env having developed an application with Ruby 1.9.1, rails 2.3.5 and
    in Windows. When I use WeBrick the aplication works perfectly. But I
    wanna try running this app with either mongrel or thin. But bad luck,
    none of them is working. I wil try to explain all the thins I did to
    finally arrive at the error. Please do help me in this.

    Installation on Mongrel :
    1. Googling enlightned me that Ruby 1.9.1 supports only mongrel-1.1.6
    version. So I had downloaded the mongrel 1.1.6 version from
    http://github.com/radar/mongrel URL.
    2. Running the gem install mongrel-1.1.6.gem gives me the following
    error.
    I:\Technology\RoR\gems\radar-mongrel-c39b9a4\radar-mongrel-c39b9a4>gem
    instal mo
    ngrel-1.1.6.gem --local --platform=ruby
    Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
    ERROR: Error installing mongrel-1.1.6.gem:

    G:/Softwares/Softwares/ruby-1.9.1/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
    checking for main() in c.lib... *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.

    Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir

    Anand Srinu, Aug 22, 2010

  2. Anand Srinu

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Aug 22, 10:32 am, Anand Srinu <-pilani.ac.in>
    wrote:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I am facing with this problem where I am trying to install mongrel in my
    > dev env having developed an application with Ruby 1.9.1, rails 2.3.5 and
    > in Windows. When I use WeBrick the aplication works perfectly. But I
    > wanna try running this app with either mongrel or thin. But bad luck,
    > none of them is working. I wil try to explain all the thins I did to
    > finally arrive at the error. Please do help me in this.

    Hello,

    For either mongrel or thin to install, they need a Ruby installation
    capable of compiling extensions.

    The error you're receiving is clearly that, the inability of your
    installation to compile.

    I would suggest you use RubyInstaller version of 1.9.1 in combination
    with our DevKit.

    You can find more information and even details of this in our website
    along with tutorials:

    http://rubyinstaller.org/
    http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials

    > Installation on Mongrel :
    > 1. Googling enlightned me that Ruby 1.9.1 supports only mongrel-1.1.6
    > version. So I had downloaded the mongrel 1.1.6 version fromhttp://github.com/radar/mongrelURL.

    Something to note: that specific repository is not the oficial Mongrel
    one.

    Version 1.1.6 never existed, and fauna holds the official codebase,
    which is compatible with Ruby 1.9.1 but not newer Rails:

    http://github.com/fauna/mongrel/

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Aug 22, 2010

  3. Anand Srinu

    Anand Srinu Guest

    Hi Luis,

    Thanks verymuch for the lead. I got them installed and things are going
    on well. But I am still in a fix. I am thinking of using THIN server for
    my production mode. But I think it would be good if I have a cluster of
    servers running so that it will be easy to reproduce a linux env. But
    the bad thing is that I am using a WINDOWS machine, (in this case) so no
    demonization, no clusters or any useful things which we can do in the
    wonderful linux.

    So please can you suggest a way of acheiving this in the WINDOWS
    machine. Or is it possible to use the Apache + multiple (Thin / Mongrel)
    servers combination in the WINDOWS machine.

    Regards,
    Sandy.

    Anand Srinu, Aug 23, 2010
  4. Anand Srinu

    jzakiya Guest

    Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

    jzakiya, Aug 23, 2010
  5. Anand Srinu

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Aug 23, 3:59 pm, jzakiya <> wrote:

    > Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

    Hello,

    Before suggesting something, please read all the details that the
    original poster made available. He is running Windows where nginx is
    not native or can't be installed as a Windows Service.

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Aug 23, 2010
  6. Anand Srinu

    jzakiya Guest

    On Aug 23, 4:23 pm, Luis Lavena <> wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 3:59 pm, jzakiya <> wrote:
    >

    > > Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

    > Hello,
    >
    > Before suggesting something, please read all the details that the
    > original poster made available. He is running Windows where nginx is
    > not native or can't be installed as a Windows Service.
    >
    > --
    > Luis Lavena

    From http://nginx.org/en/ website:

    Tested OS and platforms

    * FreeBSD 3 — 8 / i386; FreeBSD 5 — 8 / amd64;
    * Linux 2.2 — 2.6 / i386; Linux 2.6 / amd64;
    * Solaris 9 / i386, sun4u; Solaris 10 / i386, amd64, sun4v;
    * MacOS X / ppc, i386;
    * Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

    jzakiya, Aug 24, 2010
  7. Anand Srinu

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Aug 24, 11:33 am, jzakiya <> wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 4:23 pm, Luis Lavena <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 23, 3:59 pm, jzakiya <> wrote:

    > > > Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

    > > Hello,

    > > Before suggesting something, please read all the details that the
    > > original poster made available. He is running Windows where nginx is
    > > not native or can't be installed as a Windows Service.

    > > --
    > > Luis Lavena

    > Fromhttp://nginx.org/en/website:
    >
    > Tested OS and platforms
    >
    >     * FreeBSD 3  — 8 / i386; FreeBSD 5  — 8 / amd64;
    >     * Linux 2.2  — 2.6 / i386; Linux 2.6 / amd64;
    >     * Solaris 9 / i386, sun4u; Solaris 10 / i386, amd64, sun4v;
    >     * MacOS X / ppc, i386;
    >     * Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

    You're right and I was wrong:

    http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html

    I remember back in 0.6 only cygwin support was available.

    Is good to mention, as the documentation says that Windows support is
    not up to *nix counterpart.

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Aug 24, 2010
  8. Anand Srinu

    Anand Srinu Guest

    Hi All,

    Going through the NGINX documentation, I learn that
    "....nginx/Windows runs as a standard console application, not a service
    ...."

    So I feel that both thin and NGINX server the same purpose in the
    windows environment. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

    By the way I am facing an error when I am trying to proxy the thin
    server via the Apache server. I am getting the DNS failed

    [Tue Aug 24 23:14:34 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] proxy: DNS lookup
    failure
    for: www.sssmh.org:3000javascripts returned by /javascripts/jquery.js,
    referer:
    http://www.sssmh.org/

    Like this the same error is repeated for all the public folder
    renderings (Images, Javascripts, css).

    The modified conf file additions are pasted as below.

    <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName example.org
    ServerAlias www.example.org

    DocumentRoot "G:/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh/public/"

    <Directory "G:/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh/public/">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Directory>

    RewriteEngine On

    # Redirect all non-static requests to thin
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.sssmh.org:3000%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

    ProxyPass / http://www.example.org:3000
    ProxyPassReverse / http://www.example.org:3000
    ProxyPreserveHost on

    </VirtualHost>

    I feel there is some way of allowing these public folder elements to the
    website. Please rescue me once again please.

    Regards,
    Sandy

    Anand Srinu, Aug 24, 2010
  9. Anand Srinu

    Anand Srinu Guest

    Hi Friends,

    > By the way I am facing an error when I am trying to proxy the thin
    > server via the Apache server. I am getting the DNS failed

    > [Tue Aug 24 23:14:34 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] proxy: DNS lookup
    > failure
    > for: www.sssmh.org:3000javascripts returned by /javascripts/jquery.js,
    > referer:
    > http://www.sssmh.org/

    I found the solution for the DNS lookup issue. Finally, as usual, there
    was this small thing "/", I forgot after the

    Previously, I forgot to put the "/" after the URL
    "http://www.example.org:3000", so was not ale to resolve the URL like
    http://www.example.org:3000stylsheets

    Anand Srinu, Aug 25, 2010