Mongrel1.1.6 Installation not working with Ruby 1.9.1 in Win

Anand Srinu

Hi There,

I am facing with this problem where I am trying to install mongrel in my
dev env having developed an application with Ruby 1.9.1, rails 2.3.5 and
in Windows. When I use WeBrick the aplication works perfectly. But I
wanna try running this app with either mongrel or thin. But bad luck,
none of them is working. I wil try to explain all the thins I did to
finally arrive at the error. Please do help me in this.

Installation on Mongrel :
1. Googling enlightned me that Ruby 1.9.1 supports only mongrel-1.1.6
version. So I had downloaded the mongrel 1.1.6 version from
http://github.com/radar/mongrel URL.
2. Running the gem install mongrel-1.1.6.gem gives me the following
error.
I:\Technology\RoR\gems\radar-mongrel-c39b9a4\radar-mongrel-c39b9a4>gem
instal mo
ngrel-1.1.6.gem --local --platform=ruby
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
ERROR: Error installing mongrel-1.1.6.gem:

G:/Softwares/Softwares/ruby-1.9.1/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for main() in c.lib... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir

Luis Lavena

Hi There,

I am facing with this problem where I am trying to install mongrel in my
dev env having developed an application with Ruby 1.9.1, rails 2.3.5 and
in Windows. When I use WeBrick the aplication works perfectly. But I
wanna try running this app with either mongrel or thin. But bad luck,
none of them is working. I wil try to explain all the thins I did to
finally arrive at the error. Please do help me in this.

Hello,

For either mongrel or thin to install, they need a Ruby installation
capable of compiling extensions.

The error you're receiving is clearly that, the inability of your
installation to compile.

I would suggest you use RubyInstaller version of 1.9.1 in combination
with our DevKit.

You can find more information and even details of this in our website
along with tutorials:

http://rubyinstaller.org/
http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials
Installation on Mongrel :
1. Googling enlightned me that Ruby 1.9.1 supports only mongrel-1.1.6
version. So I had downloaded the mongrel 1.1.6 version fromhttp://github.com/radar/mongrelURL.

Something to note: that specific repository is not the oficial Mongrel
one.

Version 1.1.6 never existed, and fauna holds the official codebase,
which is compatible with Ruby 1.9.1 but not newer Rails:

http://github.com/fauna/mongrel/

Anand Srinu

Hi Luis,

Thanks verymuch for the lead. I got them installed and things are going
on well. But I am still in a fix. I am thinking of using THIN server for
my production mode. But I think it would be good if I have a cluster of
servers running so that it will be easy to reproduce a linux env. But
the bad thing is that I am using a WINDOWS machine, (in this case) so no
demonization, no clusters or any useful things which we can do in the
wonderful linux.

So please can you suggest a way of acheiving this in the WINDOWS
machine. Or is it possible to use the Apache + multiple (Thin / Mongrel)
servers combination in the WINDOWS machine.

Regards,
Sandy.

jzakiya

Hi Luis,

Thanks verymuch for the lead. I got them installed and things are going
on well. But I am still in a fix. I am thinking of using THIN server for
my production mode. But I think it would be good if I have a cluster of
servers running so that it will be easy to reproduce a linux env. But
the bad thing is that I am using a WINDOWS machine, (in this case) so no
demonization, no clusters or any useful things which we can do in the
wonderful linux.

So please can you suggest a way of acheiving this in the WINDOWS
machine. Or is it possible to use the Apache + multiple (Thin / Mongrel)
servers combination in the WINDOWS machine.

Regards,
Sandy.

Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

Luis Lavena

Also checkout nginx (http://nginx.org/) for your application.

Hello,

Before suggesting something, please read all the details that the
original poster made available. He is running Windows where nginx is
not native or can't be installed as a Windows Service.

jzakiya

Hello,

Before suggesting something, please read all the details that the
original poster made available. He is running Windows where nginx is
not native or can't be installed as a Windows Service.

From http://nginx.org/en/ website:

Tested OS and platforms

* FreeBSD 3 — 8 / i386; FreeBSD 5 — 8 / amd64;
* Linux 2.2 — 2.6 / i386; Linux 2.6 / amd64;
* Solaris 9 / i386, sun4u; Solaris 10 / i386, amd64, sun4v;
* MacOS X / ppc, i386;
* Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

Luis Lavena

Fromhttp://nginx.org/en/website:

Tested OS and platforms

    * FreeBSD 3  — 8 / i386; FreeBSD 5  — 8 / amd64;
    * Linux 2.2  — 2.6 / i386; Linux 2.6 / amd64;
    * Solaris 9 / i386, sun4u; Solaris 10 / i386, amd64, sun4v;
    * MacOS X / ppc, i386;
    * Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

You're right and I was wrong:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html

I remember back in 0.6 only cygwin support was available.

Is good to mention, as the documentation says that Windows support is
not up to *nix counterpart.

Anand Srinu

Hi All,

Going through the NGINX documentation, I learn that
"....nginx/Windows runs as a standard console application, not a service
...."

So I feel that both thin and NGINX server the same purpose in the
windows environment. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

By the way I am facing an error when I am trying to proxy the thin
server via the Apache server. I am getting the DNS failed

[Tue Aug 24 23:14:34 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] proxy: DNS lookup
failure
for: www.sssmh.org:3000javascripts returned by /javascripts/jquery.js,
referer:
http://www.sssmh.org/

Like this the same error is repeated for all the public folder
renderings (Images, Javascripts, css).

The modified conf file additions are pasted as below.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.org
ServerAlias www.example.org

DocumentRoot "G:/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh/public/"

<Directory "G:/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh/public/">
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

RewriteEngine On

# Redirect all non-static requests to thin
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.sssmh.org:3000%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

ProxyPass / http://www.example.org:3000
ProxyPassReverse / http://www.example.org:3000
ProxyPreserveHost on

</VirtualHost>

I feel there is some way of allowing these public folder elements to the
website. Please rescue me once again please.

Regards,
Sandy

Anand Srinu

Hi Friends,
By the way I am facing an error when I am trying to proxy the thin
server via the Apache server. I am getting the DNS failed

[Tue Aug 24 23:14:34 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] proxy: DNS lookup
failure
for: www.sssmh.org:3000javascripts returned by /javascripts/jquery.js,
referer:
http://www.sssmh.org/

I found the solution for the DNS lookup issue. Finally, as usual, there
was this small thing "/", I forgot after the

Previously, I forgot to put the "/" after the URL
"http://www.example.org:3000", so was not ale to resolve the URL like
http://www.example.org:3000stylsheets