Monitor Internet connections in XP/Vista

pranav

Hi Folks,

I am designing a project for Windows XP/Vista, one part of which is a
background process that monitors internet connections. If the user
tries to connect to any particular site, say myDummySite.com in then
some actions are taken, based on fixed policies.
This can be thought of a mini firewall.

I am sure there must be some good libraries for this purpose. I need
the names of those libraries.

Thanks,

Pranav Prakash

Mike Driscoll

Hi Folks,

I am designing a project for Windows XP/Vista, one part of which is a
background process that monitors internet connections. If the user
tries to connect to any particular site, say myDummySite.com in then
some actions are taken, based on fixed policies.
This can be thought of a mini firewall.

I am sure there must be some good libraries for this purpose. I need
the names of those libraries.

Thanks,

Pranav Prakash

You could try urllib2, socket or just call ping with subprocess.

Mike

Giampaolo Rodola'

Hi Folks,

I am designing a project for Windows XP/Vista, one part of which is a
background process that monitors internet connections. If the user
tries to connect to any particular site, say myDummySite.com in then
some actions are taken, based on fixed policies.
This can be thought of a mini firewall.

I am sure there must be some good libraries for this purpose. I need
the names of those libraries.

Thanks,

Pranav Prakash

I doubt there's something so low-level and platform specific for
Python.
You could eventually observe what happens on the wire by using libpcap/
Winpcap ("pcapy" and "pypcap" are some python bindings I heard of) but
forget about applying policies like "allow/deny this or that traffic"
natively.

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib