Monitor/log UDP traffic?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kevin, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hey guys. This may not be the best place to post (my question isn't
    really Java-specific) but maybe you can help.

    I'm doing research on a simulated soccer system called Robocup. Robocup
    clients communicate with a server via UDP, and there is an established
    protocol for comms sent back and forth between a client and server.

    Right now all I want to do is monitor, and log to a file, all the
    communications that happens between a client and the server. For simplicity
    let's say that all I want to do is log everything that the server sends
    to one of its clients.

    Someone else in my lab has written a program that acts as a forwarding-
    proxy... you connect the client to this program, and this program forwards
    everything from the client to the real server, and from the real server
    back to the client. (written in Java)

    The program worked for the Robocup clients/servers that were in use at
    the time he wrote it (2 years ago) but now, for some reason, it no longer
    seems to work properly. (New server protocol? The docs don't seem to
    indicate any changes have occurred...)

    I've spent too long on this already...

    Before I really get into debugging his tool, I wanted to ask if there
    are other, existing tools that I could use to do what I want. Otherwise
    I'm going to try to debug his tool, or write my own in Java.
     
    Kevin, Nov 4, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Kevin <> wrote:
    > Hey guys. This may not be the best place to post (my question isn't
    > really Java-specific) but maybe you can help.


    Having done some more reading in this group....

    Will tcpdump and ethereal do what I need? I don't particularly care about
    packet headers, I just want to know what was the ASCII data that was sent
    from the server to a particular client (and vice versa).

    I also ideally would like to be able to isolate the data coming to/from
    one particular client.. the server can be talking with up to 22 of these
    clients, all running on one or two machines.

    Thanks..
     
    Kevin, Nov 4, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Kevin wrote:
    > Having done some more reading in this group....
    >
    > Will tcpdump and ethereal do what I need? I don't particularly care about
    > packet headers, I just want to know what was the ASCII data that was sent
    > from the server to a particular client (and vice versa).
    >
    >

    I think Ethereal will do the trick for you. I've never used tcpdump. You
    might even discover why the proxy doesn't work any more. Ethereal also
    has capture and display filters that will let you pick out specific
    conversations.

    Steve
     
    Steve Horsley, Nov 4, 2003
    #3
  4. Kevin

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    > Kevin <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey guys. This may not be the best place to post (my question isn't
    >>really Java-specific) but maybe you can help.

    >
    >
    > Having done some more reading in this group....
    >
    > Will tcpdump and ethereal do what I need? I don't particularly care about
    > packet headers, I just want to know what was the ASCII data that was sent
    > from the server to a particular client (and vice versa).
    >
    > I also ideally would like to be able to isolate the data coming to/from
    > one particular client.. the server can be talking with up to 22 of these
    > clients, all running on one or two machines.
    >
    > Thanks..
    >


    Both tcpdump and ethereal can do what you want.

    Tcpdump is the simpler of the two in its requirements for installation but
    is less capable than ethereal. For simple packet capture and display it gets
    the job done.

    Ethereal is a more full blown packet analyser. It's much easier to view
    specific parts of individual packets without getting overwhelmed by output.
    But it does require more supporting packages/libraries.

    --
    Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
    University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
     
    Nigel Wade, Nov 5, 2003
    #4
  5. Kevin

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Nov 5, 2003
    #5
  6. Kevin

    Moonshadao Guest

    Moonshadao, Nov 5, 2003
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. _mario.lat

    How to generate UDP traffic?

    _mario.lat, Nov 20, 2006, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,681
    Daniel Pitts
    Nov 20, 2006
  2. whatazor

    outgoing traffic monitor

    whatazor, Jan 10, 2008, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    547
    whatazor
    Jan 10, 2008
  3. m
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    414
    Shawn Milochik
    Aug 6, 2008
  4. ScottZ
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    361
    Jorgen Grahn
    Nov 2, 2008
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    122
    ElChino
    Aug 20, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page