    Regards,

    Chris

    , Jan 27, 2007

  2. Tim Mackey Guest

    hi chris,
    there are many pop3 components written in .net. they will generally consist
    of a dll that you can reference in your asp.net application and use the API
    provided by the component to check mail.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=C# POP3 component
    i haven't used any in recent years but there are free ones that will do the
    job nicely.

    one question. asp.net doesn't sound like the most natural platform for a
    monitoring application. asp.net runs on IIS which is request/response
    platform. you will need some way to trigger your monitor, e.g.
    application_start in global.asax, and then launch a thread or something with
    a timer on it. sounds far from ideal though if you want consistent/reliable
    monitoring without any request directly from the user. my choice would be
    to develop a windows service and install it wherever you can, to check mail
    periodically.

    if it's just an autoresponder you need, it sounds like your host has a very
    poor mail server control panel. i've never seen a hosting company that
    didn't provide a web-configurable auto-responder with their mail servers.
    if you aren't super-loyal to them, it may be easier to switch host than
    spend a few days writing an auto-responder app just to fill the gap they
    should be providing anyway.

    good luck
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Jan 27, 2007

    I'm actually trying to create a web application that will calculate
    distances between submitted addresses via email using MapQuests
    geocoding API. The idea is to use a cell phone to determine the
    distance to a point of interest by emailing my server and then getting
    a response back.

    Using ASP.Net is not the most ideal set-up, but I can't afford the
    cost of getting my own server where I could create my own Windows
    service...

    Regards,

    Chris

    On Jan 27, 6:46 pm, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > hi chris,
    > there are many pop3 components written in .net. they will generally consist
    > of a dll that you can reference in your asp.net application and use the API
    > provided by the component to check mail.http://www.google.com/search?q=C# POP3 component
    > i haven't used any in recent years but there are free ones that will do the
    > job nicely.
    >
    > one question. asp.net doesn't sound like the most natural platform for a
    > monitoring application. asp.net runs on IIS which is request/response
    > platform. you will need some way to trigger your monitor, e.g.
    > application_start in global.asax, and then launch a thread or something with
    > a timer on it. sounds far from ideal though if you want consistent/reliable
    > monitoring without any request directly from the user. my choice would be
    > to develop a windows service and install it wherever you can, to check mail
    > periodically.
    >
    > if it's just an autoresponder you need, it sounds like your host has a very
    > poor mail server control panel. i've never seen a hosting company that
    > didn't provide a web-configurable auto-responder with their mail servers.
    > if you aren't super-loyal to them, it may be easier to switch host than
    > spend a few days writing an auto-responder app just to fill the gap they
    > should be providing anyway.
    >
    > good luck
    > tim
    >
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >I would like to build a web application that will monitor a mailbox
    > > for new emails and then send a response. I have a reseller package
    > > with my hosting company, but they don't want to give me direct access
    > > to the mail server's API for security reasons.

    > > Can I instead somehow occasionally query my mailbox with POP? They
    > > won't deploy a standard app on their server because its shared amongst
    > > many resellers, is there a way I can do this with ASP.NET?

    > > Regards,

    > > Chris

    , Jan 29, 2007
  4. Tim Mackey Guest

    gotcha. sounds like a great app.
    can you get a static IP address off your ISP and use a windows XP/Vista box
    as a server? sounds like it wouldn't be a massively demanding site in terms
    of bandwidth, if it's a text-based request/response.

    if i were in your shoes, i would build a mobile/WAP web app with asp.net,
    rather than sending emails through the phone and waiting for the web site to
    poll the mailbox, trying to parse out the email body into a postal address
    etc. i've done WAP apps before and it's a great delivery platform for
    simple apps on cell-phones. the big benefit here is you get an instant
    response. although WAP obviously has its limitations in terms of user
    interface, the same applies to an email client on a cell-phone. i can't
    think of many phones these days that don't have at least WAP support (in
    europe anyway). most higher-spec phones will do a pretty good job at
    rendering a normal web page anyway, so if the forms are simply designed, you
    might get away with a normal asp.net app.

    another option, which i have no experience with, would be to build a java
    (J2ME?) app since any decent mobile nowadays can install a java application,
    such as the Gmail mobile client.

    hope this helps
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Jan 30, 2007