monitor memory leak

George2

Hello everyone,

Reading from book Windows Internals, we should use private bytes to
monitor memory leak.

1. I think the reason why not using virtual bytes, is because there
may be some shared materials counted as a part of virtual bytes --
like shared library and file map;

2. I think the reason why not using working set, is because sometimes
working set is trimmed and sometimes not all committed virtual bytes
are in working set -- like demand for zero scenario.

Are my understanding for (1) and (2) correct?

thanks in advance,
George

Lionel B

Hello everyone,

Reading from book Windows Internals, we should use private bytes to
monitor memory leak.

What are "private bytes"?
1. I think the reason why not using virtual bytes, is because there may
be some shared materials counted as a part of virtual bytes -- like
shared library and file map;

What are "virtual bytes"?
2. I think the reason why not using working set, is because sometimes
working set is trimmed and sometimes not all committed virtual bytes are
in working set -- like demand for zero scenario.

What is a "working set"? what is a "zero scenario"?
Are my understanding for (1) and (2) correct?

Who knows?

Is there a C++ question lurking in here somewhere?