Monitor WebService performance

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Sunil Menon, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Sunil Menon

    Sunil Menon Guest

    Sunil Menon, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Sunil Menon

    Jan Tielens Guest

    I haven't tried it myself, but you can take a look at the Enterprise
    Instrumentation Framework:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/enterprise/eif/
    The Microsoft Enterprise Instrumentation framework (EIF) enables
    applications built on the .NET Framework to be instrumented for
    manageability in a production environment. This framework provides an
    extensible event schema and unified API which leverages existing eventing,
    logging and tracing mechanisms built into Windows, including WMI, the
    Windows Event Log, and Windows Event Tracing. An application instrumented
    with this framework can publish a broad spectrum of information such as
    errors, warnings, audits, diagnostic events, and business-specific events.
    In addition, Enterprise Instrumentation enables tracing by business-process
    or application service, and can provide statistics such as average execution
    time for a given process or service.

    --
    Greetz,
    Jan

    http://www.amberpoint.com/solutions/express.shtml
    > are there other tools that have a similar functionality that you all

    recommend?

    Jan Tielens, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Sunil Menon

    Dhruv Guest

    The problem with using any instrumentation "framework" is that you
    have to code these things into your webservice and application. This
    means more work in my development cycle.. that has been a consistent
    issue with all management "frameworks" and APIs. AmberPoints solution
    is focussed on webservices and doesnt not involve any code changes..
    In that, it definitely is a better tool to get my job done.

    Dhruv, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Sunil Menon

    ricko70 Guest

    The beauty of AmberPoint Express is that you don't need any API to
    monitor your Web services. It's non-invasive. It doesn't add any
    additional code, APIs or libraries to your services. It discovers
    services as an IIS module, loads them in the Express window and
    you'you clikc the service you want to manage, confidure them (set
    faults, counters - etc) and manage them with a single click.

    It's free, Microsoft themselves are going to distribute it with
    Whidbey and it's available now.

    Thx - Rick

    ricko70, Jan 7, 2004