    emails a group when the page changes. Any suggestions on modules to use or a
    general description of how to build this would be appreciated.

    Rod

    Rod Snyder, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Rod  Snyder

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "Rod Snyder" <>:
    > I am looking to try to build a program that monitors a specific page and
    > emails a group when the page changes. Any suggestions on modules to use or a
    > general description of how to build this would be appreciated.

    LWP
    Net::SMTP or Mail::Mailer or MIME::Lite

    Investigate your system's facilities for running programs on a schedule,
    e.g. cron on unix, Scheduled Tasks on Win32.

    Ben

    --
    All persons, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.
    Kurt Vonnegut

    Ben Morrow, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Rod  Snyder

    GM Guest

    Purl Gurl wrote:
    > Rod Snyder wrote:
    >
    > Sure a lot of recent postings coming out of comcast.
    > This is a statistical anomaly. I have noted a lot
    > of postings from comcast in the Apache group which
    > reference material in some of my old articles there.
    > Another statistical anomaly linked to comcast.
    >
    > All of comcast is banished from our server. Lots
    > of statistical anomalies regarding comcast.

    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid
    You step outta line, the man come, and take you away

    You better stop, hey...

    GM, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Rod  Snyder

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Rod  Snyder

    krakle Guest

    "Rod Snyder" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am looking to try to build a program that monitors a specific page and
    > emails a group when the page changes. Any suggestions on modules to use or a
    > general description of how to build this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Rod

    You don't need a module to do so.. Set the script on a scheduled cron.
    Have the script check the file modification time/date on that specific
    page once a day. If it changes, have the script email the group of
    people. Simple.

    krakle, Jun 26, 2004
  6. krakle wrote:

    > You don't need a module to do so..

    You don't precisely *need* a module, true, but there are certainly modules
    that will help make parts of it much easier.

    As you say, cron is the way to schedule a periodic job, assuming a *nix
    platform. Anacron might also be useful, if the machine running the script
    sleeps and/or powers down occasionally.

    > Have the script check the file modification time/date on that specific
    > page once a day.

    LWP.

    > If it changes, have the script email the group of people.

    Quite a few modules to choose from here - search CPAN for "Mailer", "SMTP",
    and "MIME".

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Rod  Snyder

    krakle Guest

    Sherm Pendley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > krakle wrote:
    >
    > > You don't need a module to do so..

    > You don't precisely *need* a module, true, but there are certainly modules
    > that will help make parts of it much easier.

    True. But remember this is a pretty simple task...

    > As you say, cron is the way to schedule a periodic job, assuming a *nix
    > platform. Anacron might also be useful, if the machine running the script
    > sleeps and/or powers down occasionally.

    Bottom line, set the script on a scheduler.

    > > Have the script check the file modification time/date on that specific
    > > page once a day.

    > LWP.

    Why would you bother using LWP to fetch the modification date of a
    LOCAL file? Just using "-M" would require less coding then LWP. Perl
    is great because there are many ways to perform a task but I find it
    pointless to use LWP in this case.

    > > If it changes, have the script email the group of people.

    > Quite a few modules to choose from here - search CPAN for "Mailer", "SMTP",
    > and "MIME".

    Well i'm not going to suggest SMTP since the poster never mentioned
    anything about it. To email a group of people why not have perl open
    the mail program... Again, another pointless reason to use a module.

    krakle, Jun 28, 2004
  8. krakle wrote:

    > Why would you bother using LWP to fetch the modification date of a
    > LOCAL file?

    Who said anything about local files? The OP said he wanted to monitor "a
    specific page".

    > Well i'm not going to suggest SMTP since the poster never mentioned
    > anything about it. To email a group of people why not have perl open
    > the mail program...

    That might be easier in the short term, but it's harder to maintain over
    time. If you start using a different mail program, or someone else wants to
    use your script, you wind up having to rewrite it.

    Also, a large majority of desktop machines (i.e. Windows) don't have a mail
    program that Perl can call, but they often do have access to an SMTP
    server.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Rod  Snyder

    krakle Guest

    Sherm Pendley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > krakle wrote:
    >
    > > Why would you bother using LWP to fetch the modification date of a
    > > LOCAL file?

    > Who said anything about local files? The OP said he wanted to monitor "a
    > specific page".

    My mistake, Sherm. I was under the assumption he was trying to monitor a local file.

    krakle, Jul 1, 2004