monitoring postgres transaction

Gian Holland

Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality

Reid Thompson

Gian said:
Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
Explain what you mean by monitor.

Gian Holland

I would like to display queries live

Bob Gustafson

You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
application to the postgresql server.

Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
interpret the bits in each packet.

Bob G

fw

You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
application to the postgresql server.

Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
interpret the bits in each packet.

Bob G

While I'm not aware of a ruby library for this, the API for postgresql
certainly offers support for notifications:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/libpq-notify.html

The example linked from that page shows C code that gets notified on
actions on a particular table.

HTH,

Felix

Reid Thompson

Gian said:
I would like to display queries live

With the proper configuration flags turned on, you can query internal postgresql
table(s) for running queries. But, short lived queries will probably be in and
out of the table(s) too fast to be seen.