    Gian Holland Guest

    Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
    there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
    Gian Holland, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Gian Holland wrote:
    > Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
    > there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality

    Explain what you mean by monitor.
    Reid Thompson, Jan 26, 2008

  3. Gian Holland

    Gian Holland Guest

    I would like to display queries live

    Gian Holland, Jan 26, 2008
  4. You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
    application to the postgresql server.

    Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
    interpret the bits in each packet.

    Bob G

    Bob Gustafson, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Gian Holland

    fw Guest

    On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 03:26 +0900, Bob Gustafson wrote:
    > You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
    > application to the postgresql server.
    >
    > Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
    > interpret the bits in each packet.
    >
    > Bob G
    >
    > On Jan 26, 2008, at 12:15, Gian Holland wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to display queries live
    > >
    > > On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> is
    > >>>
    > >> Explain what you mean by monitor.

    While I'm not aware of a ruby library for this, the API for postgresql
    certainly offers support for notifications:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/libpq-notify.html

    The example linked from that page shows C code that gets notified on
    actions on a particular table.

    HTH,

    Felix
    fw, Jan 26, 2008
  6. Gian Holland wrote:
    > I would like to display queries live
    >
    > On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> Gian Holland wrote:
    >>> Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion,

    >> is
    >>> there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
    >>>

    >> Explain what you mean by monitor.

    With the proper configuration flags turned on, you can query internal postgresql
    table(s) for running queries. But, short lived queries will probably be in and
    out of the table(s) too fast to be seen.
    Reid Thompson, Jan 27, 2008