monolithic apps

tamnt54

Any suggestions for study?..:
Is is possible to take a large executable with GUI and real time data and images, to extract modules, and it can run as if it looks like a monolithicapplication (windows over main windows, or images over other images) but is various python script driven modules calling each other as separate apps?

Ulrich Eckhardt

Am 24.01.2013 18:06, schrieb (e-mail address removed):
Any suggestions for study?..: Is is possible to take a large
executable with GUI and real time data and images, to extract
modules, and it can run as if it looks like a monolithic application
(windows over main windows, or images over other images) but is
various python script driven modules calling each other as separate
apps?

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/

Uli

<g,d&r>

tamnt54

...snipped...
2) Manipulate multiple gui apps while having the same UI as though there
was just one main window, and other windows all belong to it. Multiple
GUI processes, but some central control to change the user experience
into resembling a single GUI app. ....snipped

You say this a topic for study, but there's a lot of other things you
may need to specify before you get to implementing. What OS, what
version of Python, what GUI, are these apps modifiable, or are you just
allowed to write glue, ...

Hey Thanks, Dave!
Definitely (2). However: you say "and other windows all belong to it." That is not such a great idea as long as the main window can close the other windows. But that's the point.
I have a humongous commercial app in C++ on Win32. (It could require porting at some time because main tools it uses could get ported by separate vendor) So what I'd like to do is write real-time imaging functions separatelyand control them using python scripting with whatever windows or overlayedimages are needed. Debug these separately and call+control them as individual stand alone, and glue together as needed. glue being mainly python, and what is being glued would also be controlled as separate python modules.This ends up running as one monolithic application that looks the same (better I hope) as the previous huge monolithic win32 app.
thanks again!

[...]

Glue not just python but whatever is needed to communicate back and forth. lots of data, but whatever could be glue in python of course. The C++ glue and functions would be controlled as python data and communicated between different modules.
todd.