    I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    match.

    Why?
    richard, Nov 14, 2013

  2. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <12hfz2ram584c$>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >
    > I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    > I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    > match.

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/li/html4/loose.dli">

    er...

    at least try

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    if not

    <!DOCTYPE html>

    You have

    The first child of a UL should be a LI, no?

    As to the matching, why not just keep it simple and have one table?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 14, 2013

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:26:40 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <12hfz2ram584c$>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >>
    >> I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    >> I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    >> match.
    >>

    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/li/html4/loose.dli">
    >
    > er...
    >
    > at least try

    > if not
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE html>
    >

    > You have

    > The first child of a UL should be a LI, no?
    >
    > As to the matching, why not just keep it simple and have one table?

    www.mroldies.net/everysong.html
    that's why.
    richard, Nov 14, 2013
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 00:01:01 -0500, richard wrote:

    > http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >
    > I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    > I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    > match.
    >
    > Why?

    after a test, it appears that a simple table has limits.
    with only a few rows it works fine.
    with several hundred rows, it does not.
    so now I have to find where to split it.
    richard, Nov 14, 2013
  5. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <1m5ljp7jzm0zm$>, richard
    <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 00:01:01 -0500, richard wrote:
    >
    > > http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    > >
    > > I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    > > I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    > > match.
    > >
    > > Why?

    > after a test, it appears that a simple table has limits.
    > with only a few rows it works fine.
    > with several hundred rows, it does not.
    > so now I have to find where to split it.

    Unlikely. Some of my tables have 10,000 rows in them.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Nov 14, 2013
  6. On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:25:34 -0500, richard wrote:

    > after a test, it appears that a simple table has limits.
    > with only a few rows it works fine.
    > with several hundred rows, it does not.
    > so now I have to find where to split it.

    This is usually caused by broken "tag soup". I recall another contributor
    who had a similar problem when his documents exceeded a certain size, the
    issue was that he was interleaving some combination of font, bold, center
    and p elements, and the effect of his doing so was to create a document
    tree so large that some browsers could not handle it in the available
    memory.

    So, first of all, run the html through the validator and make sure it's
    not broken.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Nov 14, 2013
  7. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    richard <> wrote in news:12hfz2ram584c$.1nekopgw7nyc4.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >
    > I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    > I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    > match.
    >
    > Why?

    Ya think it might have anything to do with this?

    Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN!
    Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)

    Unusual, even for you.

    Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE declaration. (What type
    is "liansitional", anyway?)
    Doug Miller, Nov 14, 2013

    #1 - Your DOCTYPE is still screwed up which is a direct result of you
    Find/replacing TAG elements.
    #2 - just looking at 'View Source' in Firefox I can see that you have
    closing </li> tags with no opening <li> tags, and some others.
    #3 - If you would include line breaks in appropriate places your HTML
    output would be much easier to read. ie: after closing tags for starters.
    #4 - I f you want your table cells to match width then you will need to
    size them accordingly, they won't magically match.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062
    Norman Peelman, Nov 14, 2013
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:11:10 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

    > richard <> wrote in news:12hfz2ram584c$.1nekopgw7nyc4.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    >> http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >>
    >> I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    >> I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    >> match.
    >>
    >> Why?

    > Ya think it might have anything to do with this?
    >
    > Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN!
    > Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >
    > Unusual, even for you.
    >
    > Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE declaration. (What type
    > is "liansitional", anyway?)

    it's swahili for "fucked up!".
    what page did you validate?
    BTW, validating did not cure the offsetting problem.
    richard, Nov 14, 2013
  10. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    richard <> wrote in news:1fzcw2g342z8z$.bynu675e4g2q.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:11:10 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote in news:12hfz2ram584c$.1nekopgw7nyc4.dlg@
    >> 40tude.net:
    >>
    >>> http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >>>
    >>> I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    >>> I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    >>> match.
    >>>
    >>> Why?

    >> Ya think it might have anything to do with this?
    >>
    >> Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN!
    >> Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >>
    >> Unusual, even for you.
    >>
    >> Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE declaration. (What

    type
    >> is "liansitional", anyway?)

    > it's swahili for "fucked up!".

    So if you know it's fucked up, why haven't you fixed it?

    The one whose URL you gave, obviously: http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html

    > BTW, validating did not cure the offsetting problem.

    Well, no, it wouldn't. Validating doesn't fix anything. Fixing the errors that validating uncovers
    might fix some of your problems, but you haven't done that yet: the validator still shows 7286
    errors, and your DOCTYPE declaration is still broken.
    Doug Miller, Nov 14, 2013
  11. On 11/14/2013 01:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
    > richard <> wrote in news:12hfz2ram584c$.1nekopgw7nyc4.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    >> http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >>
    >> I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    >> I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    >> match.
    >>
    >> Why?

    > Ya think it might have anything to do with this?
    >
    > Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN!
    > Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >
    > Unusual, even for you.
    >
    > Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE declaration. (What type
    > is "liansitional", anyway?)

    You'll notice that he has inadvertently searched/replaced 'tr' and
    'td' with 'li'.

    Norman Peelman, Nov 14, 2013
  12. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    Norman Peelman <> wrote in news:l63kmp$rba$:

    > On 11/14/2013 01:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
    >> richard <> wrote in news:12hfz2ram584c$.1nekopgw7nyc4.dlg@
    >> 40tude.net:
    >>
    >>> http://mroldies.net/scrolltable3.html
    >>>
    >>> I worked on this to ensure the columnas in the two tables matched.
    >>> I changed the data to show the proper items and now the columns do not
    >>> match.
    >>>
    >>> Why?

    >> Ya think it might have anything to do with this?
    >>
    >> Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01 liansitional//EN!
    >> Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >>
    >> Unusual, even for you.
    >>
    >> Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE declaration. (What

    type
    >> is "liansitional", anyway?)
    >>

    > You'll notice that he has inadvertently searched/replaced 'tr' and
    > 'td' with 'li'.

    Of course. But I bet he won't notice....
    Doug Miller, Nov 14, 2013
  13. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <XnsA278BDA7F11D9dougmilmaccom@78.46.70.116>, Doug Miller
    <> wrote:

    > Norman Peelman <> wrote in news:l63kmp$rba$:
    >
    > > On 11/14/2013 01:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
    > >> richard <> wrote in
    > >> 40tude.net:

    > >> Ya think it might have anything to do with this?
    > >>
    > >> Errors found while checking this document as -//W3C//Dli HTML 4.01
    > >> liansitional//EN!
    > >> Result: 7286 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    > >>
    > >> Unusual, even for you.
    > >>
    > >> Hint: proofread, proofread, proofread. Especially your DOCTYPE
    > >> declaration. (What

    > type
    > >> is "liansitional", anyway?)
    > >>

    > > You'll notice that he has inadvertently searched/replaced 'tr' and
    > > 'td' with 'li'.

    > Of course. But I bet he won't notice....

    I've told him before that:

    <!DOCTYPE html>

    is all you need.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Nov 14, 2013
  14. On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:23:14 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:

    > #1 - Your DOCTYPE is still screwed up which is a direct result of you
    > Find/replacing TAG elements.

    I'm not convinced that Richard has progressed beyond the "any doctype
    will do" mentality that he has previously exhibited to actually
    understanding that the html markup must match the doctype if he wants
    cross browser consistency.

    > #2 - just looking at 'View Source' in Firefox I can see that you have
    > closing </li> tags with no opening <li> tags, and some others.

    That would be the broken tag soup I was referring to earlier then.

    > #3 - If you would include line breaks in appropriate places your HTML
    > output would be much easier to read. ie: after closing tags for
    > starters.

    But if people can read his html they might copy it ....

    From his pov, he doesn't want his precious html stolen. From our pov, we
    don't want people using his html as an example of how to write html.

    > #4 - If you want your table cells to match width then you will need to
    > size them accordingly, they won't magically match.

    I'm guessing he's using multiple tables and each table is auto allocating
    column widths. This should be fixable with css using:

    table tr td:first-child {width:n px} /* col 1 */
    table tr td:first-child + td {width:n px} /* col 2 */
    table tr td:first-child + td + td {width:n px} /* col 3 */
    table tr td:first-child + td + td + td {width:n px} /* col 4 */

    ..... continuing the "+ td" chain for each additional column

    It might look a bit fiddly as css, but it saves having to mess about with
    the table markup at all.

    Of course, fixing it with CSS will require that his doctype and his markup
    match each other so that all browsers can apply the css to a consistent
    dom, rather than their browser specific handling of any broken markup.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Nov 14, 2013
  15. On 11/14/2013 06:55 PM, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:23:14 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:
    >
    >> #1 - Your DOCTYPE is still screwed up which is a direct result of you
    >> Find/replacing TAG elements.

    > I'm not convinced that Richard has progressed beyond the "any doctype
    > will do" mentality that he has previously exhibited to actually
    > understanding that the html markup must match the doctype if he wants
    > cross browser consistency.
    >
    >> #2 - just looking at 'View Source' in Firefox I can see that you have
    >> closing </li> tags with no opening <li> tags, and some others.

    > That would be the broken tag soup I was referring to earlier then.
    >
    >> #3 - If you would include line breaks in appropriate places your HTML
    >> output would be much easier to read. ie: after closing tags for
    >> starters.

    > But if people can read his html they might copy it ....
    >
    > From his pov, he doesn't want his precious html stolen. From our pov, we
    > don't want people using his html as an example of how to write html.
    >
    >> #4 - If you want your table cells to match width then you will need to
    >> size them accordingly, they won't magically match.

    > I'm guessing he's using multiple tables and each table is auto allocating
    > column widths. This should be fixable with css using:
    >
    > table tr td:first-child {width:n px} /* col 1 */
    > table tr td:first-child + td {width:n px} /* col 2 */
    > table tr td:first-child + td + td {width:n px} /* col 3 */
    > table tr td:first-child + td + td + td {width:n px} /* col 4 */
    >
    > ..... continuing the "+ td" chain for each additional column
    >
    > It might look a bit fiddly as css, but it saves having to mess about with
    > the table markup at all.
    >
    > Of course, fixing it with CSS will require that his doctype and his markup
    > match each other so that all browsers can apply the css to a consistent
    > dom, rather than their browser specific handling of any broken markup.

    I have repeatedly attempted to show him how to generate *readable*
    HTML output. If he could read it then he could spot some errors.

    Norman Peelman, Nov 15, 2013
  16. On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:46:59 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

    > I've told him before that:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE html>
    >
    > is all you need.

    On a technicality m'lud, you also need valid html.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Nov 15, 2013
  17. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <l65lhe$769$>, Denis McMahon
    <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:46:59 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
    >
    > > I've told him before that:
    > >
    > > <!DOCTYPE html>
    > >
    > > is all you need.

    > On a technicality m'lud, you also need valid html.

    I'd hoped he took me literally and created pages with just that one
    line in.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Nov 15, 2013
  18. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    Norman Peelman <> wrote in news:l655ne$5vr$:

    > I have repeatedly attempted to show him how to generate *readable*
    > HTML output. If he could read it then he could spot some errors.

    Unwarranted assumption on your part. I don't believe his ability to spot errors is affected to any
    measurable degree by the readability of the code.
    Doug Miller, Nov 15, 2013