More CSS woes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bjg, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. bjg

    bjg Guest

    Hey,

    Still trying to do my friend a site withput using tables for design. Here
    it is so far:

    http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.html
    http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.css

    First problem, how do I get the .content aligned to the top of the page?
    Like level with the top .sidebar.

    And next, what's the best way to rewrite the #header to get the links
    under the select bar 10px margin from right and bottom of it? Like similar
    to how the select bar is, but instead down the bottom.

    Please help! Also, if anyone has any suggestions or better ways of doing
    something, please let me know too.

    Cheers

    BJG
    bjg, Dec 10, 2003

  2. bjg

    Long Guest

    "bjg" <> wrote in message
    : Hey,
    :
    : Still trying to do my friend a site withput using tables for design. Here
    : it is so far:
    :
    Sadly, CSS is not supported uniformly by different browsers so there
    are always cross-browser issues. If you are going to extreme and
    avoid tables altogether, you will forever fight an uphill battle.

    I suggest you take what is good in both and use it to your advantage.

    Long
    www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html
    Long, Dec 10, 2003

  3. bjg wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Still trying to do my friend a site withput using tables for design. Here
    > it is so far:
    >
    > http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.html
    > http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.css
    >
    > First problem, how do I get the .content aligned to the top of the page?
    > Like level with the top .sidebar.

    Well the _first_ thing you do, is to make sure your markup makes sense:

    http://validator.w3.org/

    After forcing a content type, and overriding your invalid DOCTYPE, you still
    have five syntax errors.

    http://www.realworldstyle.com/2col.html has a sample two column layout with
    header and footer. I suggest you start from there.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Long wrote:

    > If you are going to extreme and
    > avoid tables altogether, you will forever fight an uphill battle.

    Oh, nonsense. Using CSS for layout gives you freedom from the
    straight-edged, square and backwards world of table layouts.

    http://www.hardcandy.org/

    I am not aware of a way to do it with a traditional table layout
    (i.e. without floats) or just making the page one large graphic!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 10, 2003
  5. bjg

    bjg Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:18:23 +0000, David Dorward wrote:

    > bjg wrote:
    >
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> Still trying to do my friend a site withput using tables for design. Here
    >> it is so far:
    >>
    >> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.html
    >> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/hostforge.css
    >>
    >> First problem, how do I get the .content aligned to the top of the page?
    >> Like level with the top .sidebar.

    > Well the _first_ thing you do, is to make sure your markup makes sense:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > After forcing a content type, and overriding your invalid DOCTYPE, you still
    > have five syntax errors.

    Usually i don't worry til i've finished the basic layout and have it
    working ok. But it complies with Strict XHTML 1.1 now.

    > http://www.realworldstyle.com/2col.html has a sample two column layout with
    > header and footer. I suggest you start from there.

    That helped, have it the way i want it now. But i'm still having issues
    with the select bar and links in the header. Do you know the best way to
    do what i want? I want to have the links 10px in from the right and bottom
    of the header.

    BJG
    bjg, Dec 11, 2003
  6. bjg

    bjg Guest

    bjg, Dec 11, 2003
  7. bjg

    Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:13:55 GMT, "Long" <> wrote:
    >Sadly, CSS is not supported uniformly by different browsers so there
    >are always cross-browser issues. If you are going to extreme and
    >avoid tables altogether, you will forever fight an uphill battle.

    I absolutely agree. I am having a hell of a time trying to design a web site
    without using tables for layout. I am running into so many problems with
    differences in various browsers' implementations of CSS. Every time I solve
    one problem, I immediately run into another problem. I am getting a huge
    headache right now.
    , Dec 11, 2003
  8. bjg

    kchayka Guest

    wrote:

    > I am having a hell of a time trying to design a web site
    > without using tables for layout. I am running into so many problems with
    > differences in various browsers' implementations of CSS. Every time I solve
    > one problem, I immediately run into another problem. I am getting a huge
    > headache right now.

    This is likely to happen when you try to just jump into CSS without
    sufficient knowledge of it. Incorrect assumptions about how things
    should work can be a major cause of pain and frustration. I'll hazard a
    guess you don't sufficiently understand:
    1. How the box-model is supposed to work
    2. How floats and positioning are supposed to work
    3. How to let go of pixel-precision and design a flexible layout

    A book or tutorial could shed some light on the first two items, but the
    last one will haunt you even when you _do_ understand the first two.

    BTW, there aren't really that many different browser implementations.
    They generally fall into two camps - the WinIE way and the W3C-compliant
    way. There are indeed some browser-specific issues, but nothing that
    can't be worked around fairly easily with common, well-tested CSS tricks.
    <URL:http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/>
    <URL:http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/>

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
    kchayka, Dec 11, 2003
  9. bjg

    Long Guest

    "kchayka" <> wrote in message
    : wrote:
    : >
    : > I am having a hell of a time trying to design a web site
    : > without using tables for layout. I am running into so many problems with
    : > differences in various browsers' implementations of CSS. Every time I solve
    : > one problem, I immediately run into another problem. I am getting a huge
    : > headache right now.
    :
    [snip]
    :
    : BTW, there aren't really that many different browser implementations.
    : They generally fall into two camps - the WinIE way and the W3C-compliant
    : way. There are indeed some browser-specific issues, but nothing that
    : can't be worked around fairly easily with common, well-tested CSS tricks.
    : <URL:http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/>
    : <URL:http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/>
    :
    Sure, there will be work-a-round hacks and these will work for a while until
    something else breaks. The real problem is why CSS is not well supported
    accross the different browsers by now?

    Long
    Long, Dec 11, 2003
  10. bjg

    kchayka Guest

    Long wrote:

    > The real problem is why CSS is not well supported
    > accross the different browsers by now?

    CSS2 is *very* well supported by the latest versions of mozilla-based
    browsers, KHTML-based browsers and Opera, which pretty much covers the
    bulk of non-IE graphical browsers in use. You aren't expecting CSS to
    be well-supported by older browsers like NS4, are you? That would be silly.

    As for WinIE... you'll just have to wait another couple years before it
    has a more modern rendering engine, and just hope MS decides to start
    supporting W3C standards better. Then it may be in the same league as
    other browsers are today. In the meantime, you can get acceptable
    results in IE with a little tweaking.

    kchayka, Dec 11, 2003