More Datastore Examples Please

v4vijayakumar

Google appengine datastore is not very clear, and I couldn't get much
from API documents. It would be very helpful if there are some more
detailed documents with examples. Django provides very good
documentation, but I don't know how much it is compatible with google
appengine.

Google appengine examples are not using datastore extensively, so this
is also not helping much in modeling datastore.

wiki.py is using low level APIs, this looks simple but couldn't find
any documentation for this.

Web search is also not giving anything useful.

Can anyone please provide me some URLs where I can find some datastore
examples, articles, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Roberts

v4vijayakumar said:
Google appengine datastore is not very clear, and I couldn't get much
from API documents. It would be very helpful if there are some more
detailed documents with examples.

I would gently suggest that you are not trying hard enough. I had never
encountered the Google appengine datastore, but the first hit in Googling
that phrase took me to the Google documentation, which seems to be quite
thorough.

If you have never worked with a database before, then you might want to go
find a good book on databases first.

What are you trying to DO with the datastore?

v4vijayakumar

I would gently suggest that you are not trying hard enough. I had never
encountered the Google appengine datastore, but the first hit in Googling
that phrase took me to the Google documentation, which seems to be quite
thorough.

Google documentation is not clear for me. Documentation provided there
is not helping much with modeling entities. This requires some
practice, so I thought that If there were some ways to access this
APIs through Idle. This is not as simple as adding some directories to
PYTHONPATH. There are some more things to be done before working
directly on datastore through Idle. This is not documented, but
luckily got some help from the group, google-appengine.
If you have never worked with a database before, then you might want to go
find a good book on databases first.

No. That won't help, because this datastore is not a relational
database, but Google's proprietary format called BigTable.
What are you trying to DO with the datastore?

I am just experimenting with google-appengine, and building an
application on it.

Tim Roberts

v4vijayakumar said:
No. That won't help, because this datastore is not a relational
database, but Google's proprietary format called BigTable.

Yes, but even though it is not a relational database, it is still a
database. General database techniques apply to databases of all kinds. I
assumed from your message that you didn't have a lot of experience with
data management -- my apologies if I am incorrect.