More design questions here..

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ivan Demkovitch, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    This is a long one :) Please correct me if I *did* something wrong and help
    me with my questions (at the end)

    I'm learning C# and .NET but good at SQL.

    I'm working on portal and writing Survey module.
    This module is a web control.

    Here is simple functionality:

    1. Support Multi-choice questions
    2. Support Single-choice questions.
    3. Support Results view (as bars)
    4. Support sureys view (as links)
    5. Display message "No surveys available"

    I sorted out DB fucntionality and wrote C# class supporting all DB
    functionality and presenting info as main class containing child array of
    classes (for questions).

    Here is things I'm not comfortable with:

    1. Since this is portal, I want this module (block on page) stay always on
    the same place. Therefore, to present #1-5 functionality I will append 2
    Parameters to link: SurveyKey and SurveyOptn. This links will be appended to
    main page link.

    2. On control itself I have 3web controls: checkbox list, radiobutton list
    and databound (to display links for different surveys)

    The problems I have so far: Unable to bind radiolist or checkbox list to my
    data:

    rblRadioSurvey.Visible = true;
    rblRadioSurvey.DataSource = Survey.CurrentList;
    rblRadioSurvey.DataBind();
    // I also have DataTextField and DataValueField properly
    specified on control (names of properties of objects in "CurrentList" class)
    // I get error: DataBinder.Eval: 'ASPNetPortal.cSurveyData'
    does not contain a property with the name SurveyOption.
    // And it does have this property....

    The next problem would be actually returning data.

    My plan is to have XML data created and passed into SQL Stored procedure.

    I have no idea how to submit data back to application. Writing code behind
    on_click event for the button I place seem not working. Values get cleared
    and I don't get it. Some sample code would be really helpful.

    Thanks!
    Ivan Demkovitch, Aug 13, 2003