    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    http://johnmcgaw.com
    John McGaw, May 25, 2004

  2. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:YLNsc.18735$>
    John McGaw <> said:

    > Have any of you seen the new Meyer book?

    no

    > am wondering if he's found enough new material to cover to make the
    > purchase worthwhile.

    i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    everything you need to know is online.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 25, 2004

  3. brucie <> wrote:

    > i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    > everything you need to know is online.

    Hardcopy has advantages.

    For example, I am relearning that which I forgot about C# - my reference
    book is 1200+ pages. This book would be awkward to use online.

    A book has built-in space for handwritten notes.

    Web pages go down and, sadly, indexing the internet is like herding cats.
    While Google does a good job, a book's table of contents and index are
    just superior.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, May 26, 2004
  4. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94F4A5A5B91D2doormouseattnet@68.12.19.6>
    The Doormouse <> said:

    >> i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    >> everything you need to know is online.

    > Hardcopy has advantages.

    very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
    has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
    magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 26, 2004
  5. John McGaw

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:

    > i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    > everything you need to know is online.

    So there is no good reason you can't afford proper undeware.

    --
    Duende
    I'll never do that again.
    Duende, May 26, 2004
  6. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94F4AE08E9624spamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    Duende <> said:

    > So there is no good reason you can't afford proper undeware.

    the only underwear i want is other peoples.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 26, 2004
  7. John McGaw

    Karl Groves Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:Xns94F4AE08E9624spamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    > Duende <> said:
    >
    > > So there is no good reason you can't afford proper undeware.

    > the only underwear i want is other peoples.

    I'll sell you some of mine.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, May 26, 2004
  8. John McGaw

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > So there is no good reason you can't afford proper undeware.

    > the only underwear i want is other peoples.

    Awesome, I was wondering who I would give these to. (don't mind the
    racing stripe)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 26, 2004
  9. John McGaw

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:18:35 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    > the only underwear i want is other peoples.

    Clean or dirty?
    Neal, May 26, 2004
  10. brucie <> wrote:

    > very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
    > has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
    > magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    Mine does that, too ... but after the second ream of paper, and a new
    print cartridge, it got old ... =)

    .... print cartridges sometimes cost as much as the book ...

    If you have access to an endless supply of free paper and ink (ie "at
    work"), then I suppose it is a good deal. Though, your coworkers might
    get fussy.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, May 26, 2004
  11. brucie wrote:
    > in post: <news:Xns94F4A5A5B91D2doormouseattnet@68.12.19.6>
    > The Doormouse <> said:
    >

    >>>i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    >>>everything you need to know is online.

    >>Hardcopy has advantages.

    > very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
    > has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
    > magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    That's sorcery! Your browser should be burned at the stake!

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, May 26, 2004
  12. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94F4D1AA72D39doormouseattnet@68.12.19.6>
    The Doormouse <> said:

    >> very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
    >> has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
    >> magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    > Mine does that, too

    shit! i'll have to think of something else i can try to impress you
    with.

    my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!

    > ... but after the second ream of paper, and a new
    > print cartridge, it got old ... =)
    > ... print cartridges sometimes cost as much as the book ...

    you either have extremely cheap books or amazingly expensive printing
    consumables.

    as you seem to have an attachment to books have you ever thought to take
    them to your local copy place and having their spine guillotined off and
    rebound with a spine that allows the book to lay flat? its only about $5
    and very convenient.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 26, 2004
  13. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Matthias Gutfeldt <> said:

    >> my browser has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on
    >> screen magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    > That's sorcery! Your browser should be burned at the stake!

    that may be so but you cant deny (like some) that you're not impressed
    can you?

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 26, 2004
  14. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    brucie, May 26, 2004
  15. Barry Pearson, May 26, 2004
  16. John McGaw

    Els Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > shit! i'll have to think of something else i can try to impress you
    > with.
    >
    > my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!

    Mine doesn't either, and works too.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, May 26, 2004
  17. John McGaw

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:VoZsc.16$>
    Barry Pearson <> said:

    >> my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!

    > My mouse doesn't have a ball. Or a wire. Or a battery. Or a light.
    > And it still works!

    i don't like you anymore.

    <sits in the corner and sulks/>

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 26, 2004
  18. John McGaw

    PeterMcC Guest

    brucie wrote in
    <>

    > in post: <news:>
    > Matthias Gutfeldt <> said:
    >
    >>> my browser has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on
    >>> screen magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

    >> That's sorcery! Your browser should be burned at the stake!

    > that may be so but you cant deny (like some) that you're not impressed
    > can you?

    And would you like a double negative with that, Sir?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, May 26, 2004
  19. John McGaw

    Els Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > <sits in the corner and sulks/>

    I'm impressed with the amount of ducttape you have on you?
    I don't even have a teeny weeny little bit in the house...

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, May 26, 2004
  20. The Doormouse wrote:
    > brucie <> wrote:
    >
    > > i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
    > > everything you need to know is online.

    > Hardcopy has advantages.
    >
    > For example, I am relearning that which I forgot about C# - my reference
    > book is 1200+ pages. This book would be awkward to use online.

    Does the book have search function?

    > A book has built-in space for handwritten notes.

    There is build in space for notes in my browser.

    > Web pages go down and, sadly, indexing the internet is like herding cats.

    Printed books get outdated.

    > While Google does a good job, a book's table of contents and index are
    > just superior.

    I really prefer using HTML versions of printed books, exept for novels
    etc. Of course, that requires well done HTML version, with index and toc,
    and those aren't often free. OTOH, books hardly ever have any information
    not available freely at WWW.

    I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä
    Lauri Raittila, May 26, 2004