"More Eric Meyer on CSS"

John McGaw

Have any of you seen the new Meyer book? Opinions? I've found his others
useful and educational but am wondering if he's found enough new material to
cover to make the purchase worthwhile. TIA

brucie

in post: <
John McGaw said:
Have any of you seen the new Meyer book?
no

am wondering if he's found enough new material to cover to make the
purchase worthwhile.

i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
everything you need to know is online.

The Doormouse

brucie said:
i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
everything you need to know is online.

Hardcopy has advantages.

For example, I am relearning that which I forgot about C# - my reference
book is 1200+ pages. This book would be awkward to use online.

A book has built-in space for handwritten notes.

Web pages go down and, sadly, indexing the internet is like herding cats.
While Google does a good job, a book's table of contents and index are
just superior.

The Doormouse

brucie

in post: <
Hardcopy has advantages.

very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:
i find it very difficult to justify the purchase of computer books when
everything you need to know is online.

So there is no good reason you can't afford proper undeware.

The Doormouse

brucie said:
very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

Mine does that, too ... but after the second ream of paper, and a new
print cartridge, it got old ... =)

.... print cartridges sometimes cost as much as the book ...

If you have access to an endless supply of free paper and ink (ie "at
work"), then I suppose it is a good deal. Though, your coworkers might
get fussy.

The Doormouse

Matthias Gutfeldt

brucie said:
in post: <

very true but that doesn't mean i have to purchase a book. my browser
has a kewl little button and if i press it what i see on screen
magically appears on a piece of paper. its amazing.

That's sorcery! Your browser should be burned at the stake!

Matthias

brucie

in post: <
Mine does that, too

shit! i'll have to think of something else i can try to impress you
with.

my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!
... but after the second ream of paper, and a new
print cartridge, it got old ... =)
... print cartridges sometimes cost as much as the book ...

you either have extremely cheap books or amazingly expensive printing
consumables.

as you seem to have an attachment to books have you ever thought to take
them to your local copy place and having their spine guillotined off and
rebound with a spine that allows the book to lay flat? its only about $5
and very convenient.

Barry Pearson

brucie said:
[snip]
my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!
[snip]

My mouse doesn't have a ball. Or a wire. Or a battery. Or a light.

And it still works!

Els

brucie said:
shit! i'll have to think of something else i can try to impress you
with.

my mouse doesn't have a ball and it still works!

Mine doesn't either, and works too.

PeterMcC

brucie wrote in
in post: <

that may be so but you cant deny (like some) that you're not impressed
can you?

And would you like a double negative with that, Sir?

Els

brucie said:
<sits in the corner and sulks/>

I'm impressed with the amount of ducttape you have on you?
I don't even have a teeny weeny little bit in the house...

Lauri Raittila

The said:
Hardcopy has advantages.

For example, I am relearning that which I forgot about C# - my reference
book is 1200+ pages. This book would be awkward to use online.

Does the book have search function?
A book has built-in space for handwritten notes.

There is build in space for notes in my browser.
Web pages go down and, sadly, indexing the internet is like herding cats.

Printed books get outdated.
While Google does a good job, a book's table of contents and index are
just superior.

I really prefer using HTML versions of printed books, exept for novels
etc. Of course, that requires well done HTML version, with index and toc,
and those aren't often free. OTOH, books hardly ever have any information
not available freely at WWW.