More examples in the docs?

Thomas Guettler

Hi!

I read "How Python is developed" (comp.lang.python.announce),
and think that there could be more examples in the docs.

One think I really like to see:
An example with mycmp(a, b)... in the
documentation for sort().

I would add DSU (Decorate, sort, undecorate) there, too.

The re module would needs more examples, too.

I will have some spare time around christmas.

What is the best way to do this? Send patches
via the patch tracker of sourceforge?

thomas

Terry Reedy

Thomas Guettler said:
Hi!

I read "How Python is developed" (comp.lang.python.announce),
and think that there could be more examples in the docs.

One think I really like to see:
An example with mycmp(a, b)... in the
documentation for sort().

I would add DSU (Decorate, sort, undecorate) there, too.

The re module would needs more examples, too.

I will have some spare time around christmas.

What is the best way to do this? Send patches
via the patch tracker of sourceforge?

Raymond Hettinger is expanding the tutorial to include modules in the
standard lib. I am sure this will include re (or at least a reference to
something). He posted a draft (for comments,etc) to pydev list on 12/3.
You can access as newsgroup gmane.comp.python at news.gmane.org or check
mail archives thru python.org.

I would check with Ref Manual maintainers (there is a special mail address
in the online version at python.org) before proposing examples to add. It
is already large and I think the idea is to make it accurate and complete
and improve tutorial for usage examples.

TJR