more help with tableless layout

Huss

I've been lurking for a while now and because of this group I've been
inspired to try some new techniques. I haven't dealt with HTML for
about 3 years and am just getting back into it. Some of this is coming
back, but not everything. I usually learn best by examining what others
are doing and then experimenting myself. So I tried the hkDivStarter
plug-in in HTML-Kit as a way to get started. Below is a link to the
HTML that it generated after I made some slight alterations (I tried to
rename the divs with something logical). It's close to what I want, but
I have just a couple problems that I could use some help with.

First, the far left border seems to disappear at random in both IE6 and
Firebird 0.8. Is this maybe a padding issue?

Second, and most important to me, is that I would like the background
image in the .subnav div to fill the entire space. The image only
extends as far as the text in that location.

http://www.geocities.com/glhuss/iw6

I appreciate any help or suggestions as this whole concept is very new
to me.

GLH

P.S. I apologize for using the free geocities site...it's all I have
access to at the moment.

Huss

The said:
Sweetie,

The page has errors. IE6 throws out an error code.
Plus, annoyingly, I cannot copy the error text for you.

The Doormouse

I'm sorry, I don't see any errors. Do they prevent you from seeing the
page source?

GLH

mscir

Huss said:
I'm sorry, I don't see any errors. Do they prevent you from seeing the
page source?
GLH

I get an error in IE6 on the code the server inserts into the page. If
you want to try a free host that doesn't insert code into your pages or
add popups, try www.freewebs.com. The free account doesn't allow ftp or
mult. file upload so it's tedious getting pages posted, but if you can
deal with that it's great, no junk added to your work like geocities or
tripod adds.

Mike

Neal

Sweetie,

The page has errors. IE6 throws out an error code.
Plus, annoyingly, I cannot copy the error text for you.

The Doormouse

The errors I see are limited to what Geoshitties adds to the page. Aside
from that, OP needs a charset. As Geoshitties cannot do it properly, add
this to the head of the document.

I see nothing terribly wrong so far with this page.

Limelight

Second, and most important to me, is that I would like the background
image in the .subnav div to fill the entire space. The image only
extends as far as the text in that location.

http://www.geocities.com/glhuss/iw6

Hey ho,

I would think it's because you haven't specified a height.

You have:

..navsub {
float: left;
width: 20%;
background-image: url("bgcyan.jpg");
}

And I would add:

height: 300px (or whatever)

Whitecrest

I would think it's because you haven't specified a height.
You have:
.navsub {
float: left;
width: 20%;
background-image: url("bgcyan.jpg");
}
And I would add:
height: 300px (or whatever)

That will work, but since it is a container, you can add height:100%.
This allows for a flexible size. BUT (and this is a big but) You have to
make sure that each parent container also has a height defined or it may
not work (depending on the browser).

Huss

Whitecrest said:
That will work, but since it is a container, you can add height:100%.
This allows for a flexible size. BUT (and this is a big but) You have to
make sure that each parent container also has a height defined or it may
not work (depending on the browser).

I played around with that a little, but I didn't get it to work yet. I
won't be able to get back to this until after work tonight, but I'll
give it another shot then. I also tried a fixed height in pixels, but
it didn't behave quite the way I would like. I notice that even though
I specified a height of 90% to my .mainbox I get nothing close to 90%
window coverage. Any idea why this doesn't work?

The Doormouse

Huss said:
I'm sorry, I don't see any errors. Do they prevent you from seeing the
page source?

The source looks okay - but as mentioned, there is barfy code inserted by
Geocities at the bottom of the page. =)

The Doormouse