More on Safari and asp:Menu

Mark Rae

Hi,

Sorry for the repost - my ISP is having huge usenet problems at the
moment...

Following on with the problems of asp:Menu controls and Safari, I found the
following article:
http://weblogs.asp.net/dannychen/archive/2005/11/21/431121.aspx

Very interesting - I'll be examining some of the suggested workarounds
later.

However, the article mentions that the "bugs" (if that's indeed what they
are) in the asp:Menu control are in the process of being fixed. Can anyone
confirm that and, if so, is there an anticipated timeframe for the fix?

It's the old cross-browser / cross-platform dilemma again...

Safari accounts for approximately 2% of the world's browsers, so why even
bother with it?
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/browser.php

It's only available on MacOS which represents approximately 3% of the
world's operating systems surfing the net, so why even bother with it?
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/os.php

Most Mac users will probably be so tired of the sites they visit with it not
working properly that they'll probably have installed FireFox anyway (which
renders asp:Menu and other webcontrols perfectly), so why bother with it?

Problem is, I have a reasonably important client who uses it and loves it -
he's read somewhere that it's the safest browser available and is the only
one to conform to some standard or other, therefore the problem is mine not
Safari's...

I have (some) sympathy with this, and I don't want to lose the work... :)
However, I'm finding that I'm probably spending as much time testing and
re-tweaking stuff just to get it to display properly on Safari as I am for
all other platforms and browsers put together!

As always, very interested in other people's experiences in this area.

Mark