More on Safari and asp:Menu

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Hi,

    Sorry for the repost - my ISP is having huge usenet problems at the
    moment...

    Following on with the problems of asp:Menu controls and Safari, I found the
    following article:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/dannychen/archive/2005/11/21/431121.aspx

    Very interesting - I'll be examining some of the suggested workarounds
    later.

    However, the article mentions that the "bugs" (if that's indeed what they
    are) in the asp:Menu control are in the process of being fixed. Can anyone
    confirm that and, if so, is there an anticipated timeframe for the fix?

    It's the old cross-browser / cross-platform dilemma again...

    Safari accounts for approximately 2% of the world's browsers, so why even
    bother with it?
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/browser.php

    It's only available on MacOS which represents approximately 3% of the
    world's operating systems surfing the net, so why even bother with it?
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/os.php

    Most Mac users will probably be so tired of the sites they visit with it not
    working properly that they'll probably have installed FireFox anyway (which
    renders asp:Menu and other webcontrols perfectly), so why bother with it?

    Problem is, I have a reasonably important client who uses it and loves it -
    he's read somewhere that it's the safest browser available and is the only
    one to conform to some standard or other, therefore the problem is mine not
    Safari's...

    I have (some) sympathy with this, and I don't want to lose the work... :)
    However, I'm finding that I'm probably spending as much time testing and
    re-tweaking stuff just to get it to display properly on Safari as I am for
    all other platforms and browsers put together!

    As always, very interested in other people's experiences in this area.

    Mark

    Mark Rae, Jun 23, 2006

  2. only your site stats matter. no one knows the true numbers. see:

    http://www.mywebsite.force9.co.uk/

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Jun 23, 2006