More on validation. I have errors I don't understand.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Hi.

    On validating a page I have gotten the following error. I have googled
    and to me this doesn't seem like an error at all. Obviously it is, but
    how?

    Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
    <ol type = "a">

    As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid start to an ordered list
    where I wish the list to use lower case letters and lower case roman
    numerals to enumerate it.

    W3schools seems to agree with me.

    http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists_ordered

    And to add to the mix, I have eight <ol>'s on the page, all with
    types. This must be a spelling error or something on my part, but I
    can't see it. Help?
    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Mike Barnard

    Bergamot Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:

    > On validating a page I have gotten the following error.
    >
    > Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
    > <ol type = "a">

    Type is deprecated. If you're using a strict doctype, it's invalid.
    Use a CSS list-style-type property instead.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style-type

    > As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid
    > W3schools seems to agree with me.

    FYI, w3schools is not affiliated with W3C in any way. Citing them as
    some kind of authority is a mistake.

    A better reference is htmldog.com

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Mike Barnard wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > On validating a page I have gotten the following error. I have googled
    > and to me this doesn't seem like an error at all. Obviously it is, but
    > how?
    >
    > Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
    > <ol type = "a">
    >
    > As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid start to an ordered list
    > where I wish the list to use lower case letters and lower case roman
    > numerals to enumerate it.
    >
    > W3schools seems to agree with me.
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists_ordered

    Where on that page do they claim that it's valid?

    Instead of W3Schools, you should rely on the W3C. It happens that this
    is valid in HTML transitional but not in HTML strict.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ for the specification.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html for the Transitional DTD.

    But instead of switching to Transitional, look into the modern way to
    specify the type of a list--or anything else presentational--is with CSS.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html
    Harlan Messinger, Mar 19, 2008
  4. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:42:12 -0500, Bergamot <>
    wrote:

    >Mike Barnard wrote:
    >>
    >> On validating a page I have gotten the following error.
    >>
    >> Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
    >> <ol type = "a">

    >Type is deprecated. If you're using a strict doctype, it's invalid.

    I am... is it indeed? Another lesson I have learned. There are a LOT
    more to go I'm sure. Thanks.

    >Use a CSS list-style-type property instead.
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style-type

    <looks> Fantastic.

    >> As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid
    >> W3schools seems to agree with me.

    >FYI, w3schools is not affiliated with W3C in any way. Citing them as
    >some kind of authority is a mistake.

    I did it again. I ASSUMED they were the same. I should know better.

    >A better reference is htmldog.com

    <looks again> Cool.

    I really apprecieate the help.
    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:16:52 -0400, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:

    >Mike Barnard wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> On validating a page I have gotten the following error. I have googled
    >> and to me this doesn't seem like an error at all. Obviously it is, but
    >> how?
    >>
    >> Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
    >> <ol type = "a">
    >>
    >> As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid start to an ordered list
    >> where I wish the list to use lower case letters and lower case roman
    >> numerals to enumerate it.
    >>
    >> W3schools seems to agree with me.
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists_ordered

    >Where on that page do they claim that it's valid?

    <small schoolboy voice> Erm, nowhere... <looks at feet>.

    >Instead of W3Schools, you should rely on the W3C. It happens that this
    >is valid in HTML transitional but not in HTML strict.

    I now know. Thanks. As I said elsewhere, I thought they (w3schools
    and w3c) were the same. Noooooo.

    >http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ for the specification.
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html for the Transitional DTD.

    >But instead of switching to Transitional, look into the modern way to
    >specify the type of a list--or anything else presentational--is with CSS.

    >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html

    I didn't know the list could be done with CSS. It's on the menu now
    though.

    Thanks.
    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008