More on validation. I have errors I don't understand.

Mike Barnard

Hi.

On validating a page I have gotten the following error. I have googled
and to me this doesn't seem like an error at all. Obviously it is, but
how?

Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
<ol type = "a">

As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid start to an ordered list
where I wish the list to use lower case letters and lower case roman
numerals to enumerate it.

W3schools seems to agree with me.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists_ordered

And to add to the mix, I have eight <ol>'s on the page, all with
types. This must be a spelling error or something on my part, but I
can't see it. Help?

Bergamot

Mike said:
On validating a page I have gotten the following error.

Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
<ol type = "a">

Type is deprecated. If you're using a strict doctype, it's invalid.
Use a CSS list-style-type property instead.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style-type
As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid
W3schools seems to agree with me.

FYI, w3schools is not affiliated with W3C in any way. Citing them as
some kind of authority is a mistake.

A better reference is htmldog.com

Harlan Messinger

Mike said:
Hi.

On validating a page I have gotten the following error. I have googled
and to me this doesn't seem like an error at all. Obviously it is, but
how?

Error Line 261, Column 13: there is no attribute "TYPE" .
<ol type = "a">

As far as I can see this is a perfectly valid start to an ordered list
where I wish the list to use lower case letters and lower case roman
numerals to enumerate it.

W3schools seems to agree with me.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists_ordered

Where on that page do they claim that it's valid?

Instead of W3Schools, you should rely on the W3C. It happens that this
is valid in HTML transitional but not in HTML strict.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ for the specification.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html for the Transitional DTD.

But instead of switching to Transitional, look into the modern way to
specify the type of a list--or anything else presentational--is with CSS.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html

Mike Barnard

Type is deprecated. If you're using a strict doctype, it's invalid.

I am... is it indeed? Another lesson I have learned. There are a LOT
more to go I'm sure. Thanks.

FYI, w3schools is not affiliated with W3C in any way. Citing them as
some kind of authority is a mistake.

I did it again. I ASSUMED they were the same. I should know better.
A better reference is htmldog.com

<looks again> Cool.

I really apprecieate the help.

Mike Barnard

Where on that page do they claim that it's valid?

Instead of W3Schools, you should rely on the W3C. It happens that this
is valid in HTML transitional but not in HTML strict.

I now know. Thanks. As I said elsewhere, I thought they (w3schools
and w3c) were the same. Noooooo.
But instead of switching to Transitional, look into the modern way to
specify the type of a list--or anything else presentational--is with CSS.

I didn't know the list could be done with CSS. It's on the menu now
though.

Thanks.