more problems with target blank

thedarkman

On my main site

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/

these links don't jump to wear I want them to go; the first should
jump to note 10; the second should jump to the photo of Muhammad Ali.

They work all right without the target_blank. C

regarding doc type and css; I have actually looked at this; I
certainly don't want to use one css file to control my entire site, so
I suppose I could put one in the header of each file, but I don't see
the point.

I rarely use more than 3 colours, and what would it enable me to
remove?

I also don't see the point of inserting DOC type in a file. After all,
the version of HTML you use is determined solely by the code you
write. I have no doubt they'll bring out further versions.

As to my being a right wing loon, if you prefer plausible liberals who
will smile to your face then lie with utter sincerity, here is Clive
Stafford Smith

and here is the ugly truth brought to you by the man who prefers
substance to style every time:

Doug Miller

On my main site

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/

these links don't jump to wear I want them to go; the first should
jump to note 10; the second should jump to the photo of Muhammad Ali.

They work all right without the target_blank. C

The URL you gave above doesn't contain either of those links; the only hyperlinks it contains are
these:

<A HREF="ITMA.html">Click Here For HomePage</A>

<A HREF="ITMA.html#HomePageIndex">Click Here For Site Index</A>

If you would provide the correct URL, someone might be able to help you.
regarding doc type and css; I have actually looked at this; I
certainly don't want to use one css file to control my entire site, so
I suppose I could put one in the header of each file, but I don't see
the point.

CSS makes it easier to maintain a consistent look and feel to your site, and dramatically reduces
the amount of HTML you need to write in each page to format it the way you want it. It also
dramatically reduces the likelihood of coding errors that foul up the format, such as those which
have so bedeviled you on your limericks page.

The choices are not between "one CSS file to control [the] entire site" and "one in the header of
each file". Rather, the more common practice is to use one master CSS file as a formatting template
for the entire site -- which is referenced by URL in each individual page, rather than being
I rarely use more than 3 colours, and what would it enable me to
remove?

It would enable you to remove nearly all of the formatting tags that so litter your pages. This in turn
means that your pages would load faster, but the biggest advantages are:
a) it ensures consistency
b) it reduces the error rate
c) it enables changing the appearance of the entire site by altering the style sheet, in one place in
one file, instead of changing formatting tags in multiple places in multiple files.

Here's one specific example of what it would enable you to remove. Putting only these entries in a
style sheet

body {
color: #000000;
}
h2 {
text-align:center;
color: #FF0000;
}

would enable you to change ALL of your second-level headings throughout a document from this

</FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#FF0000">
<center><h2>Heading Text</h2></center></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">

to this:

<h2>Heading Text</h2>

If you later decide you want those headings to be blue instead of red, or the body text fuchsia
instead of black, all you need do is to change the color: attribute in the style sheet. One change in
one place is instantly propagated across the entirety of every document that uses that style sheet.
I also don't see the point of inserting DOC type in a file.

To ensure consistent rendering of your pages from one browser to the next. With no DOCTYPE, the
browser will render your page in quirks mode, which may or may not give the appearance you wish.
There's a reasonably good overview here:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/dtds/a/aa071007.htm

Having a proper DOCTYPE definition in your web documents also means that it will be easier for
you to find your coding errors when you validate your pages, because the error messages resulting
from invalid HTML will not be mixed in with error messages resulting from a missing DOCTYPE.

Please note the phrase "*proper* DOCTYPE". :)

After all,
the version of HTML you use is determined solely by the code you
write. I have no doubt they'll bring out further versions.

Google "quirks mode".

Jukka K. Korpela

If you would provide the correct URL, someone might be able to help you.

Please don’t feed the troll. It’s not fun any more. It was somewhat
amusing to see someone repeatedly advertise a 1996-style web site asking
purported “questions†and consistently rejecting all advice and
attacking it. But after the umpteenth round, it got boring.

thedarkman

The problem appears to have righted itself now

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_harbinger_text.html

I had another problem re displaying but that has sorted too.

Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

Thanks for the advice but I think the proof of the pudding is in the
eating; the main thing is does the ordinary visitor see what I want
him to see? The answer appears to be yes. This is again substance over
style. Just for the record, what version of HTML am I using?

Tim Streater

thedarkman said:
The problem appears to have righted itself now

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_harbinger_text.html

I had another problem re displaying but that has sorted too.

Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

Thanks for the advice but I think the proof of the pudding is in the
eating; the main thing is does the ordinary visitor see what I want
him to see? The answer appears to be yes. This is again substance over
style. Just for the record, what version of HTML am I using?

Except that your site looks like shit. I might have been marginally
interested in the content, but I got eyeball ache after the first couple
of sentences, so I gave up.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

thedarkman said:
The problem appears to have righted itself now

No, it is still an awful set of pages.
http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_harbinger_text.html ....
Thanks for the advice but I think the proof of the pudding is in the
eating; the main thing is does the ordinary visitor see what I want him
to see? The answer appears to be yes.

You apparently prefer amateur-looking hard-to-read pages. I can't imagine
anyone actually sticks around for any length of time.

Are there any *design* schools in your neighbourhood?
This is again substance over
style. Just for the record, what version of HTML am I using?

Something from around 1982, I'd guess.

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:
The problem appears to have righted itself now

Wow! The Devil gone skying! The perpetuity in thedarkman actually
replied *in* the thread!

Must be magic, eh? Nothing to do with your markup.
I had another problem re displaying but that has sorted too.

Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

Must be voodoo then.
Thanks for the advice but I think the proof of the pudding is in the
eating; the main thing is does the ordinary visitor see what I want
him to see? The answer appears to be yes. This is again substance over
style.

You are a real comedian...don't quit the day job.
Just for the record, what version of HTML am I using?

None, we can safely say that it is your own unique version.

thedarkman

Except that your site looks like shit. I might have been marginally
interested in the content, but I got eyeball ache after the first couple
of sentences, so I gave up.

My Motigo counter tells a different story; my site is largely
educational. I will educate those who will listen. Those who don't can
go elsewhere. Those who would attempt to stop me can go and ****
themselves.

thedarkman

Must be voodoo then.

Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.

I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
is what they call undocumented DOS.

thedarkman

Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.

We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
means I can omit the DOCTYPE. BARONDOCTYPE would not work, I guess. As
I said, I don't want to use any sort of global template, but take this
short page. Whether or not you like the poem, the puns or neither, it
displays well. It's only with a really long page in Firefox or some
other minor browser that trouble develops.

Without a global template, how can this code be improved? Probably in
a lot of ways in your universe, but how can the display be improved?
If you are content with 3 colours, I would suggest no way.

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>
<H1><i>Ode From The Friesian Churn</i></H1>
<FONT COLOR=#000000>
<b>

[This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
like it as much as I did].

<A HREF="poetry.html"> Back To Poetry Index</A>
</HTML>

Tim Streater

Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.

I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
is what they call undocumented DOS.

Are you a loony or what? Filenames have never been limited to 8 chars
except on one or two crap joke operating systems that by and large I've
managed to avoid.

dorayme

thedarkman said:
We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
means I can omit the DOCTYPE. ...

This was written for a punning competition.
Sadly the judges didn't like it as much as I did

You *are* using HTML. Your poem below shows great sensitivity and you
should console yourself with the thought that the judges rejected it
on a mere technicality - like that it is not really very punny.

thedarkman said:
Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.

That may be true but it's no excuse for presenting your stuff in a way
that gives people headaches.
We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
means I can omit the DOCTYPE.

No, we've established that you are using html in quirks mode, which
means you have no guarantees as to how it will look. It will vary from
browser to browser.

If you use the trivial doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html>

then you can at a minimum ensure that it'll look the same on all
browsers.

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:
Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.

We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
means I can omit the DOCTYPE.

Apparently we have all been too subtle for you. Your coding is so broken
that is does not conform to any version, you you feel breaking it
further by omitting a DOCTYPE is a solution?
BARONDOCTYPE would not work, I guess. As
I said, I don't want to use any sort of global template, but take this
short page. Whether or not you like the poem, the puns or neither, it
displays well. It's only with a really long page in Firefox or some
other minor browser that trouble develops.

No the correct answer is to fix your mistakes and make your markup more
valid, not break it more.
Without a global template, how can this code be improved? Probably in
a lot of ways in your universe, but how can the display be improved?
If you are content with 3 colours, I would suggest no way.

What is your aversion to a global "template" (external css file)? Afraid
is might actually fix your site and make it easier to maintain?

From all your posting it looks like you prefer to have all your poem
titles in red and italic, and you love to center everything. So instead
of peppering every page over and over with FONT, CENTER & I, & B
elements you could add just 1 line in each page's HEAD element

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="poems.css">

and create a text file "poems.css":
/* start of stylesheet */
h1 { color: #ff0000; font-style: italic; text-align: center; }
p { color: #000000; font-weight: bold; text-align: center; }
/* end of stylesheet */

Now you have been told repeatedly that you are NOT closing elements that
REQUIRE closing tags like the FONT & B elements below:
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>
<H1><i>Ode From The Friesian Churn</i></H1>
<FONT COLOR=#000000>
<b>

[This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
like it as much as I did].

<A HREF="poetry.html"> Back To Poetry Index</A>
</HTML>

Now with the above stylesheet you would get DEPENDABLY what you wish:

<head>
<title>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="poems.css">
</head>
<h1>Ode From The Friesian Churn<h1>

My darling Buttercup, how fine though art,<br>
Your beauty so refined, your charm so rare,<br>
For though you're not renowned for being smart,<br>
In all Creation none can match your stare.

You stand entranced in yonder clover field<br>
And gaze magnetically; I feel your pull,<br>
I try to draw away but I must yield<br>
And creep towards you, spellbound, like a bull.

Your nose is big and black and always wet,<br>
Your grace reflects in every moo-ve you make,<br>
I always feel a morsel of regret<br>
And think of you when I eat beef, Miss Steak.

The farmer treats you awfully, my pet,<br>
You're outside in most every kind of weather,<br>
But not to worry, I'll ask my Aunt Bet<br>
To knit a jersey to protect your leather.

You'll wear that, but you'll never wear my ring<br>
Because we're worlds apart, but I'll be true,<br>
I'll never even think of marrying,<br>
And never have no udder love but moo.

[This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
like it as much as I did].

If you later decided you did not what those poem titles in italic but
maybe in small caps and blue not red than all you would have to do it
change ONE file, the stylesheet "poem.css"

/* start of stylesheet */
h1 { color: #0000ff; font-variant: small-caps; text-align: center; }
p { color: #000000; font-weight: bold; text-align: center; }
/* end of stylesheet */

That is it, just one file and ALL your poems on all your pages will now
have blue small caps titles without having to change each and every
document. For poems I might suggest where layout is so important with
spacing like this

A line to the left
but the next offset
maybe a bit here
and here

That you could just make your pages preserve the special spacing like
this:

A line to the left
but the next offset
maybe a bit here
and here

and an one-liner in your stylesheet:

p.freeform { white-space: pre; }

Now if you cannot see the advantage then I would suggest that you should
go away, that you are either incapable or unwilling to do web design and
no one will be able to help you here.

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:
Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.

I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
is what they call undocumented DOS.

When? Which version? Not in DOS. What you could do is make a file name
with a character ASCII number > 126 that Windows could not deal with.

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
If you use the trivial doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html>

then you can at a minimum ensure that it'll look the same on all
browsers.

Not quite at a minimum, but you are right that it improves your
chances.

Jukka K. Korpela

Your coding is so broken
that is does not conform to any version, you you feel breaking it
further by omitting a DOCTYPE is a solution?

I suppose, and surely hope, that nobody reads this troll-driven thread
seriously and trying to learn. But just in case...

If someone has been writing crappy HTML code that (knowingly or
unknowingly) relies on crappy behavior of old browsers, then *adding* a
conforming DOCTYPE is the thing that would likely break the pages. It
would make browsers run in "standards mode", which is bad if they have
been written for broken mode ("quirks mode").

I have seen pages become literally empty just because a proper DOCTYPE
was added.

The morale is that you should not use proper DOCTYPE if your markup is
not proper.

P E Schoen

"Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message
[huge snip]
Now if you cannot see the advantage then I would suggest that you
should go away, that you are either incapable or unwilling to do web
design and no one will be able to help you here.

I am amazed that people here still continue to respond and try to help "the
darkman". Maybe some perverse curiosity about his latest attempts to
circumvent even the most reasonable conventions of HTML and still complain
about erratic problems? I am also not really up to speed on CSS, but I
realize its power and I use it where I need to. I have some HTML dating back
to 1996 when I was a total newbie, and some of it (maybe most) would not
pass the validator. But for anything I care about (and darkman does seem to
care, at least about himself and his website), I will make the effort to
determine if it passes validation and at least understand why some lines may
not be according to standard, and I may choose to ignore them if they are
not critical. But if there were problems I would certainly fix them so as to
make it validate before I wasted peoples' time with badly broken code, and
ignore or demean their efforts to help.

He certainly gets a lot of attention. Maybe THAT is the issue! This may be
his entire social life!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com