  1. Hi there,
    in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    Thanks

    Michele 'xjp', Aug 19, 2007

  2. Michele 'xjp'

    Christian Guest

    Michele 'xjp' schrieb:
    > Hi there,
    > in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?
    >
    > Thanks

    I would say it is Azureus...
    P2P software simply finds a lot of customers..

    Christian, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Michele 'xjp'

    Lew Guest

    Michele 'xjp' wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    HelloWorld.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Michele 'xjp'

    Christian Guest

    Lew schrieb:
    > Michele 'xjp' wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    > HelloWorld.

    But which Version? There seems not be any "Hello World" program around
    under the sourceforge top1000 programs..

    so I doubt that it can come close to Azureus.. a lot of people tend to
    write "Hello World" just for their own sake and don't share it with the
    community of users which may, be sad but an unchangeable fact.

    If you want a top quality "Hello World" program today then you have to
    do it on your own. May be if someone is willing to develop a high
    Quality one and put it under GPL it would spread a bit more around.

    So no Hello World is definately less spread (just in java) as Azureus
    or some other application.

    Though as a last thought, as some parts of the jre are written in java
    as well, the jre would definately be more widespread as "Hello World"s
    or Azureus.

    Christian

    Christian, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Michele 'xjp'

    Lew Guest

    Christian wrote:
    > Lew schrieb:
    >> Michele 'xjp' wrote:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    >> HelloWorld.
    >>

    > But which Version? There seems not be any "Hello World" program around
    > under the sourceforge top1000 programs..

    As if SourceForge were the only way to distribute software. Unlike Perl
    programmers, we Java programmers have the luxury of more than one source for
    software. And I was speaking of all versions. I notice you don't bother to
    limit your discussion of Azureus to only one version.

    You have to include other modes of distribution, such as
    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html>

    It's so popular, it's distributed by Sun itself. They've even got separate
    pages devoted to it according to your deployment environment.

    And they aren't even the only ones. A Google for '+Java "Hello World"'
    yielded 1,860,000 hits. Yes, '+Java Azureus' yielded more hits, but many of
    them on the first page were discussion forum hits. The "Hello World"
    front-page hits were all primary sources.

    Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the OP didn't
    ask which one actually is.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 19, 2007
  6. Michele 'xjp'

    venu Guest

    On Aug 19, 6:01 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    > >> HelloWorld.

    > > But which Version? There seems not be any "Hello World" program around
    > > under the sourceforge top1000 programs..

    > As if SourceForge were the only way to distribute software. Unlike Perl
    > programmers, we Java programmers have the luxury of more than one source for
    > software. And I was speaking of all versions. I notice you don't bother to
    > limit your discussion of Azureus to only one version.
    >
    > You have to include other modes of distribution, such as
    > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html>
    >
    > It's so popular, it's distributed by Sun itself. They've even got separate
    > pages devoted to it according to your deployment environment.
    >
    > And they aren't even the only ones. A Google for '+Java "Hello World"'
    > yielded 1,860,000 hits. Yes, '+Java Azureus' yielded more hits, but many of
    > them on the first page were discussion forum hits. The "Hello World"
    > front-page hits were all primary sources.
    >
    > Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the OP didn't
    > ask which one actually is.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    I think it's " Hello World! "

    venu, Aug 19, 2007
  7. Lew wrote:
    > Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the OP
    > didn't ask which one actually is.

    Note that it was not "which is the most frequently executed" or "most
    frequently downloaded", but "most popular".

    HelloWorld should win a popularity contest. Most of us have written it
    at least once in Java. At least for me, it is associated with the fun of
    learning another programming language.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Aug 19, 2007
  8. Michele 'xjp'

    Lew Guest

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the
    >> OP didn't ask which one actually is.
    >>

    > Note that it was not "which is the most frequently executed" or "most
    > frequently downloaded", but "most popular".
    >
    > HelloWorld should win a popularity contest. Most of us have written it
    > at least once in Java. At least for me, it is associated with the fun of
    > learning another programming language.

    Exactly.

    While my response is, of course, tongue in cheek at one level, I have some
    serious points.

    As developers, understanding requirements is key to our success. A question
    like, "What is most popular?" is fraught with opportunities for misinterpretation.

    "Hello World" is arguably the most "popular" Java program (also C, C++, ...)
    for precisely the reasons and definitions Patricia gave.

    The questioner perhaps assumed some metric like "most frequent executed" or
    "... downloaded", but we cannot know that for sure just from the question.
    They also didn't state that it had to be a third-party program nor that we
    actually use it ongoingly.

    Getting the design of any software correct is a matter of asking the right
    questions, fully cognizant of any underlying assumptions. Even a seemingly
    innocent question rests nine-tenths under the surface like some giant iceberg
    of the unspoken.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Lew wrote:
    > Michele 'xjp' wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    > HelloWorld.

    Lew took my answer, so I'll have to find another one. How about javac?

    Mike Schilling, Aug 19, 2007
  10. Christian wrote:
    > Michele 'xjp' schrieb:
    >> Hi there,
    >> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    > I would say it is Azureus...

    That is a good candidate. 150 million downloads is a lot.

    The only other app I can think that are very widely used
    is OpenOffice, which even though the majority is C++ also
    has a lot of Java code in it.

    Java is much more popular server side than desktop. Probably
    most people uses web sites served by WAS, WL, OC4J and JBoss,
    but I guess that does not really count for the original poster.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Michele 'xjp'

    Twisted Guest

    On Aug 19, 5:02 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    > > Michele 'xjp' schrieb:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    > > I would say it is Azureus...

    > That is a good candidate. 150 million downloads is a lot.

    Eclipse?

    Nah.

    Limewire?

    Twisted, Aug 20, 2007
  12. Michele 'xjp'

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    "Mike Schilling" <> wrote in message
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Michele 'xjp' wrote:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

    >> HelloWorld.

    > Lew took my answer, so I'll have to find another one. How about javac?

    Javac gets my vote. There has to be a lot of Tomcat out there too.

    Karl Uppiano, Aug 20, 2007
  13. Michele 'xjp'

    metaperl Guest

    On Aug 19, 5:58 am, Michele 'xjp' <>
    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?
    >
    > Thanks

    Azureus immediately came to mind
    DB Visualizer is quite nice
    Eclipse is sheer pleasure to use.
    SableCC is not as popular as Antlr or Javacc, but it is a great
    product
    XMLC is a great way to dynamically produce HTML/XML

    metaperl, Aug 20, 2007