Motion Detection in JPeg frames

User10

Can some one provide an algorithm for motion detection between two jpeg
frames? Or can you provide a more appropriate group to post this on?

Thanks!

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Can some one provide an algorithm for motion detection between two jpeg
frames? Or can you provide a more appropriate group to post this on?

comp.programming is suitable for all kinds of programming issues.
comp.graphics.* might also be appropriate, but I don't read those
groups so I can't tell you which would be useful. Here's a hint:
search Google Groups for "motion detection in images" and see which
groups get the most traffic in that area.

<OT>
The particular image-compression algorithm involved doesn't matter;
all you really care about are the pixel colors.
One simplistic method would be to do union-find on the pixel array,
globbing together similarly-colored regions. Then look at the biggest
regions and compare the way their centers of mass move from one image
to the next. Add some reasonableness-checking code and you're basically
done, assuming you've got friendly input. (Like, security camera
images would be friendly. Saturday morning cartoons would probably
be extremely unfriendly.)
</OT>

Followups set to comp.programming, but feel free to take your
questions to a more focused group. Just don't leave them here in
comp.lang.c, where we discuss the C computer programming language
only.

-Arthur

Malcolm

User10 said:
Can some one provide an algorithm for motion detection between
two jpeg frames? Or can you provide a more appropriate group to
post this on?
comp.programming. Also it's MPEG (JPEG is the related still image
compression algorithm).We aware that this is rather a complex subject.