mouse cursor position

Danny@Kendal

How can I get the coordinates of the mouse cursor in Mozilla browsers as
well as Opera and IE6?
I'm struggling to understand how to capture mouse movement events with
Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox and I've Googled so much my brain hurts.

http://www.ghpkendal.co.uk/TestPages/Test.htm

Move your cursor over the yellow area and you should see the mouse
coordinates echoed above.

The following javascript function works for Opera and IE6 when called by
onMouseMove="moveDiv()". How do I adapt it to cope with the browser versions
mentioned above?
The code snippet in question is listed below. I've not included any feature
detection to keep things simple.

divX & divY are locally declared numerical variables in the test page.
'cpos' is the ID of a <div> element used to display the mouse cursor
coordinates.

function movement()
{
divX = event.x
divY = event.y
document.getElementById('cpos').innerHTML = "X=" + divX + "<br>Y=" + divY

Michael Winter

How can I get the coordinates of the mouse cursor in Mozilla browsers as
well as Opera and IE6?
[snip]

divX & divY are locally declared numerical variables in the test page.

No, they aren't. They're globally declared.

[snip]
function movement()
{
divX = event.x
divY = event.y

The first problem is that you're accessing the event object as though it's
global. Whilst this might be true in IE, and browsers that emulate it for
compatibility (like Opera), Netscape-emulating/DOM-conforming browsers
must use a local event object. If the event listener is added directly,
this object is passed as an argument. In intrinsic events added through
HTML, there is an implicit local variable called "event". Quite
conveniently really, as this allows for:

... onmousemove="movement(event);" ...

which will work with both IE and conforming browsers.

That could change your code to:

function movement(evt) {
var divX = evt.x,
divY = evt.y;

/* [write output] */
}

However, there's still one more problem: x and y aren't standard
properties of the event object. The W3C defines clientX/Y for coordinates
within the browser viewport. You could get away with:

var divX = evt.x || evt.clientX,
divY = evt.y || evt.clientY;

but something more complex may be more reliable.

var movement = (function(e) {
/* The default getCoordinates (gC) function. If neither the
* Microsoft or DOM approach is deemed supported, this will be
* used to always return (0, 0).
*/
function gC(e) {return {x: 0, y: 0};}
/* The DOM getCoordinates (dC) function. */
function dC(e) {return {x: e.clientX, y: e.clientY};}
/* The Microsoft getCoordinates (mC) function. */
function mC(e) {return {x: e.x, y: e.x};}
/* Tests if the given argument is a number. */
function isN(o) {return 'number' == typeof o;}

/* Check if the clientX and clientY event properties are
* supported. If so, replace the default, gC, with dC.
*/
if(isN(e.clientX) && isN(e.clientY)) {gC = dC;}
/* If not, try again with the x and y properties and replace
* gC with mC if successful.
*/
else if(isN(e.x) && isN(e.x)) {gC = mC;}

/* Now our testing is out of the way, replace the initial
* function with a streamlined version and call it.
*/
(movement = function(e) {
var div = gC(e);

/* [write output using div.x and div.y] */

})(e);
});

Please be aware that if you change the name, movement, you must edit the
line

(movement = function(e) {

accordingly.

[snip]

Tested on IE 6, Firefox 0.9.3 (must get round to install 1.0) and Opera
7.54.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Danny@Kendal

Michael Winter said:
How can I get the coordinates of the mouse cursor in Mozilla browsers as
well as Opera and IE6?

[snip]

You absolute feckin' beauty! Thank you *very* much for your time.

I've updated the test page with all the testing inlined to make it clearer
(to me) what is happening. It seems to work in all the browsers I've tried
so far without throwing up any javascript errors or alerts.

I've renamed it and I'll leave it up indefinitely for reference.
http://www.ghpkendal.co.uk/TestPages/MouseCoords.htm

I've printed out your very helpful reply for future tinkering. I didn't know
you could return values from a function in that way - particularly returning
the results from one function into another so you only have one place from
where to extract the values.

I've tried Firefox 1.0 - very nice rendering but I prefer the Opera
interface. I still like IE6 but it needs updating.

Michael Winter

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:16:41 -0000, Danny@Kendal

[snip]
You absolute feckin' beauty! Thank you *very* much for your time.

You're welcome. :)
I've updated the test page with all the testing inlined to make it
clearer (to me) what is happening. It seems to work in all the browsers
I've tried so far without throwing up any javascript errors or alerts.

It shouldn't. I still don't like the global variables.

[snip]
I've printed out your very helpful reply for future tinkering. I didn't
know you could return values from a function in that way - particularly
returning the results from one function into another so you only have
one place from where to extract the values.

If it helps, consider it this way...

When you define a function using

function identifier(/* ... */) {
/* ... */
}

it's analogous to

var identifier = function(/* ... */) {
/* ... */
};

That is, you create a variable, identifier, and assign a function to it.

Now, functions are objects and, just like with other objects, you can use
more than one identifier to refer to the same object.

Combining those two principles together, you can see that you could assign
the reference to some function, A, to the identifier of some other
function, B. Both A and B would now refer to the same function[1], so you
can call that function with either identifier. If you make that assignment
based on some condition, you can create a self-configuring system: if you
determine that one function isn't appropriate for a specific action,
replace it with another that is.

Since Richard Cornford gave a very nice display of this idea a while ago,
it's something I think about a lot.
I've tried Firefox 1.0 - very nice rendering but I prefer the Opera
interface.

Me, too. I keep Mozilla (several versions) and Firefox for testing.
I still like IE6 [...]

And just when I thought there was hope for you. :p

Good luck,
Mike

[1] If the identifier, B, was the only reference to the second function,
that function will be destroyed. That is:

function A() {} // 1
function B() {} // 2
B = A;

Function 2 can't be accessed any more as nothing refers to it, so it's
deleted on the next garbage collection cycle.

DU

The answer is that you need cross-browser code since MSIE 6 does not
support DOM 2 Events interface attributes and methods.
[snip]
[...]

x and y event properties are coordinates relative to relatively
positioned elements in MSIE.

Interactive demo on event.x and event.y
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/PositioningEventXY.html

I've reopened an Opera bugfile 123298 on this btw.
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/BrowserBugsSection/Opera7Bugs/Opera7EventXY.html

The W3C defines clientX/Y for
coordinates within the browser viewport. You could get away with:

var divX = evt.x || evt.clientX,
divY = evt.y || evt.clientY;

The above does not make sense. clientX and clientY are well supported
event properties in browsers. x and y are not and are not very useful.
Even support for x and y properties were dropped in Mozilla (they were
supported in NS 4). And as said before, x and y are relative to
relatively positioned elements while clientX and clientY are relative to
browser window viewport (not to document)
but something more complex may be more reliable.

var movement = (function(e) {
/* The default getCoordinates (gC) function. If neither the
* Microsoft or DOM approach is deemed supported, this will be
* used to always return (0, 0).
*/
function gC(e) {return {x: 0, y: 0};}
/* The DOM getCoordinates (dC) function. */
function dC(e) {return {x: e.clientX, y: e.clientY};}
/* The Microsoft getCoordinates (mC) function. */
function mC(e) {return {x: e.x, y: e.x};}

I doubt this mC function is really needed.

/* Tests if the given argument is a number. */
function isN(o) {return 'number' == typeof o;}

isN is also not needed as the function isNaN is already available and
widely implemented in javascript browsers.
/* Check if the clientX and clientY event properties are
* supported. If so, replace the default, gC, with dC.
*/
if(isN(e.clientX) && isN(e.clientY)) {gC = dC;}
/* If not, try again with the x and y properties and replace
* gC with mC if successful.
*/
else if(isN(e.x) && isN(e.x)) {gC = mC;}

/* Now our testing is out of the way, replace the initial
* function with a streamlined version and call it.
*/
(movement = function(e) {
var div = gC(e);

/* [write output using div.x and div.y] */

})(e);
});

There may be (not sure; it depends on the design requirements) another
problem which is not addressed in the above code: when the page content
exceeds browser window viewport: the returned coordinates will not
return the coordinates in the document scroll view.

Interactive window properties, methods, events page
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DUWindowsMSIE6.html
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DUWindowsNS6.html
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DUWindowsOpera7.html

DU

Michael Winter

[snip]

From my reading of the reference, I see no bug:

"This property returns the y-coordinate of the closest relatively
positioned parent element of the element that fires the event. If
the event firing element is relatively positioned, then the
y-coordinate from the boundary of the element is returned."

As both images are relatively positioned, the offset should be with regard
to their borders.

[snip]

[MW:]
The above does not make sense.

It makes sense, but it's unnecessary. I didn't check whether IE supported
clientX/Y, and I just assumed it didn't. My bad.

[snip]
I doubt this mC function is really needed.

In light of the above, no, it isn't.
isN is also not needed as the function isNaN is already available and
widely implemented in javascript browsers.

The function, isN (isNumber), performs a different action than isNaN. The
former checks that the argument is a number, whilst the latter checks if
the argument can be type-converted to a number.

[snip]
[...] the returned coordinates will not return the coordinates in the
document scroll view.

Could you elaborate, specifically with regards to what you're refering to
with "document scroll view"?

[snip]

That's a dead link, by the way. The correct URL is
<URL:http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DUWindowsO7.html>.

Mike

PDannyD

[snip]

From my reading of the reference, I see no bug:

"This property returns the y-coordinate of the closest relatively
positioned parent element of the element that fires the event. If
the event firing element is relatively positioned, then the
y-coordinate from the boundary of the element is returned."

As both images are relatively positioned, the offset should be with
regard to their borders.
[...] the returned coordinates will not return the coordinates in the
document scroll view.

Could you elaborate, specifically with regards to what you're refering
to with "document scroll view"?

(the OP posting from home)

If the browser window is resized so that the viewport needs scrolling then
the script I'm using doesn't return the position of the cursor in the
viewport but the position relative to the document. I don't really need to
fix it but I'll have a play when I'm back at work.

It's not really an issue in my real application as the area where the
mouse cursor position is needed is fairly small. I try, wherever possible,
to design for a minimum of 640x480 pixels.

Today has been a good day - I got a troublesome javascript to work and
fixed several CSS cross-browser compatibility problems. A complete
contrast to yesterday which was spent staring into space going 'duh'.

Richard Cornford

Michael said:
Danny@Kendal wrote:
Since Richard Cornford gave a very nice display of this
idea a while ago, it's something I think about a lot.
<snip>

Yep was right, he know you would not be able to resist the idea ;)

In retrospect the object I tend to use to acquire mouse position
information was among the first self-reconfiguring object that I wrote
(before I recognised that as an exploitable concept in itself). It
doesn't do much function swapping but instead re-assigns strings used as
property names and object references to configure itself. It was
designed to keep the mousemove handling function as fast and simple as
possible and to exploit the fact that you don't ever need to know that
mouse position as frequently as mousemove events happen. It also
normalises the co-ordinates to the same relative system (offsets into
the HTML page). I have posted it a few times before but it probably
deserves another airing in this context:-

var MoveFollow = (function(){
var global = this;
var theInterface = {
getPageX:function(){
return (((readScroll.scrollLeft|0) -
(readScroll.clientLeft|0)) + x);
},
getPageY:function(){
return (((readScroll.scrollTop|0) -
(readScroll.clientTop|0)) + y);
},
getPageXY:function(){
return {x:this.getPageX(),y:this.getPageY()};
},
getTarget:function(){
return lastTarget;
},
upDate:function(ev){
mm(ev);
}
};
var x = 0, y = 0;
var readScroll = {scrollTop:0,scrollLeft:0,
clientLeft:0,clientTop:0};
var lastTarget = null;
var posReadX = 'pageX';
var posReadY = 'pageY';
function mm(e){
e = e||global.event;
x = e[posReadX];
y = e[posReadY];
lastTarget = e.target||e.srcElement;
}
function initEvent(ev){
if(document.body){ //Not safe to configure until the
//BODY exists in the DOM.
ev = ev||global.event;
if(ev){
if(typeof ev.pageX != 'number'){ //Opera 7 has pageX
posReadX = 'clientX';
posReadY = 'clientY';
if((typeof document.compatMode == 'string')&&
(document.compatMode.indexOf('CSS') != -1)&&
(document.documentElement)){
readScroll = document.documentElement;
}else if((document.body)&&(!global.opera)){
//Not an Opera <= 6 browser (becaue its
//clientX/Y are page-relative already).
readScroll = document.body;
setUpOnMouse(mm);
mm(ev);
function setUpOnMouse(f){
if(document.onmousemove != f){
document.onmousemove = f;
if((document.captureEvents)&&(global.Event)&&
(document.layers)&&(typeof Layer == 'function')){
//Netscape 4 *only* (or probably harmless in context)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEMOVE);
/* captureEvents on Netscape 6+/Mozila/Gecko would
cause all move events to be processed in the
capturing phase in addition to when they arrived
at the target. There is no reason to be
processing the same event twice (and good reasons
for avoiding doing so).
*/
setUpOnMouse(initEvent); // Attach initEvent as the initial
// mousemove handler.
return (function(){
return theInterface;
});
})();

Richard.

Michael Winter

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:36:50 -0000, Richard Cornford

[snip]
Yep was right, he know you would not be able to resist the idea ;)

It's always fun to have a new toy to play with. :)
I have posted it a few times before but it probably deserves another
airing in this context:-

I can't say that I've seen it before. I'm glad you posted it, though. My
knowledge is weak when it comes to the various dimension-related
properties.

[snip]

Mike

Michael Winter

[snip]
[...] the returned coordinates will not return the coordinates in the
document scroll view.

Could you elaborate, specifically with regards to what you're refering
to with "document scroll view"?

I think I know what you mean, now.

If the cursor is twenty pixels in from the left-hand edge, you'd expect
clientX to return 20. However, if the document was scrolled ten pixels to
the right, you might expect clientX to return 30 but it should still
return 20.

Based on that interpretation, no my suggestion wouldn't treat a scrolled
page specially. However, from reading through Richard's, it seems his
would.

Mike

DU

Michael said:
[snip]

From my reading of the reference, I see no bug:

"This property returns the y-coordinate of the closest relatively
positioned parent element of the element that fires the event. If
the event firing element is relatively positioned, then the
y-coordinate from the boundary of the element is returned."

As both images are relatively positioned, the offset should be with
regard to their borders.

The offset is relative to their borders but when you mouse over these,
the returned evt.x and evt.y in Opera 7.x are wrong.

Regarding the OP post, the x, y-coordinates are relative to relatively
positioned elements: if the page has relatively positioned elements,
then the returned values won't be relative to client viewport. That is
where your code is wrong.

[snip]

[MW:]
The above does not make sense.

It makes sense, but it's unnecessary. I didn't check whether IE
supported clientX/Y, and I just assumed it didn't. My bad.

The above is wrong when the page will have relatively positioned
elements. When the mouse will hover over those relatively positioned
elements, the coordinates will not return browser window viewport
coordinates but coordinates relative to those relatively positioned
elements. As you say, just clientX/Y is sufficient.

DU